Changes to temporary visa jobs list dashes dreams of working in Australia

by Ray Clancy on April 28, 2017

in Jobs in Australia

Changes to the skilled occupation list for people applying for visas to work in Australia do not only affect those seeking temporary skilled visas, it has emerged.

And some applicants are being advised to withdraw and seek a refund, meaning that their dream of moving to Australia to work have been dashed.

Since it was announced that the 457 visa, that allows people to work for up to four years, is being abolished and is being replaced by March 2018 by a new two-year and four-year temporary skilled visa, it was revealed that a large number of occupations would be taken off the skilled occupation list.

Initially it was thought this would only affect those applying for temporary visas, but it has now emerged that the changes to the list are more extensive and there are now two lists instead of one.

It means that with immediate effect those applying for a temporary work visa can no longer do so in certain occupations including general accountants, advertising specialist, various farming roles, baker, café or restaurant manager, chef, chief executive or managing director, conference or event organiser, contract administrator, cook, graphic designer, finance manager, various ICT roles, hairdresser and many more.

It has become clear that the abolition of the 457 visa masks many more changes within the visa application process regarding which occupations are permissible and in some case applicants are being advised to withdraw and ask for a refund.

There are also 16 occupations which will be only available for the skilled independent subclass 189 visa, the temporary graduate visa and the skilled regional subclass 489 visa including general accountants, chef, chemical engineer, civil engineer, electronics engineer, pressure welder and medical administrator.

For the two new temporary visa streams there are two lists, the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) and the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).

Occupations on the MLTSSL can obtain a visa for up to four years and can apply for permanent residency after three years while occupations on the STSOL are available for a visa for up to two years only and holders cannot apply for permanent residency.

‘For those who have lodged 457 visa applications with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection those with occupations listed on the MLTSSL still have the opportunity to be granted a 457 visa for up to four years,’ said an immigration department spokesman.

‘Those with occupations on the STSOL will likely only be granted a 457 visa for up to two years and those whose occupation has been removed from the list of eligible occupations are encouraged to withdraw their visa applications and apply for a refund,’ the spokesman added.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: