Baby on the Way, Passport or Visa?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Baby on the Way, Passport or Visa?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Help Needed..

I'm an Australian Citizen and have 2 passports one is English and the other Australian,
My dad is English and my mum is Australian,
she lives over there with her husband now and both my brothers are there too, they all have been for many years now, both my brothers have families of there own,
I was born in England and when my mum returned to australia when i was younger i stayed here with my dad
and have therefore only spent about 8 months in Australia my whole life,
I got married to my English boyfriend of 2 years about 6 months ago and am now 4 months Pregnant,
We were planning on moving to Australia this year but due to the new bump it has been put back to next year now,
My baby will be approximately 1 year old when we plan to move over.
As I understand it my Husband will be able to apply for a Partner Visa,
Although I'm a bit stumped on my baby to be, I expected that due to me being Half Australian that my baby would be able to get a Aussie passport too,
I have read online that if I had lived in the country for 2 years or more this would be so but I haven't so does this mean I will have to apply for a Child Visa?
And do I apply for the Visa for my baby or does my husband do it when he applies for his Visa?
Also if everything goes to plan after we have lived there 2 years is my baby then entitled to apply for an Australian passport?
Someone told me that I have to register the birth before I can apply for the passport for my baby, do I still do this if I have to get a visa?

Also on a separate note, my Australian passport ran out approx 10 years ago, I realise I have to go to the embassy in either London or Edinburgh in person to renew this,
I have the form to fill out to take with me, my problem is that since I got married recently I have changed my name so do I fill out the form with my married name or maiden name or do I need another form for this, I'm slightly confused and am puzzled on what to do, It will cost me quite a bit to travel to either embassy as they are equal distance from where I live so I don't want to go and get turned away and have to return again. What do u do about the photo requirements? If u can't use English photo booths how do u get photos?

All this is causing me a lot of stress so Any info would be much appreciated!
Thank you for your time. xx

Last edited by LoopyLawtons; 02-28-2012 at 11:33 PM.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 54
Users Flag! From australia

11 likes received
9 likes given
It is my understanding that your baby would be eligible for Australian citizenship thru descent...I am assuming this is what you have?
As far as your name is concerned I never filed a formal name change in Australia and now my passport is in my maiden name. Once your passport expires you have to either change your name through the births, deaths and marriage registry.
I opted to keep my maiden name as it was faster and cheaper and doesnt really make a difference..Your first step is to get your Australian passport.
The baby, assuming entitlement to Aust. citizenship would qualify for Australian passport as soon as you have registered the birth and have the documents.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 54
Users Flag! From australia

11 likes received
9 likes given
For the photos - print out the info sheet on the passport website and take it with you to a photo place so they can see the exact requirements..

So first thing is to call the Embassy and verify then file application..hope this helps

  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 530
Users Flag! From australia

67 likes received

Is all your current ID from uk in your married name? If so I think it would be better for you to apply for Australian passport in your married name.

Whatnext: Australian Sponsor
Husband Brazilian

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Currently in Calabria, Italy
Posts: 30
Users Flag! From australia

4 likes received
1 likes given
Have you got your Australian citizenship via descent? If so then you need to prove the 2 years connection with Australia for your baby to also get citizenship via descent. If not then you can put the baby on your husbands visa application and then after getting a PR visa I think it is a 5 year wait until they can both apply for Australian citizenship.

I got my baby his Australian citizenship via the London high commission. Give them a call as they are so helpful and can give you the correct info in a matter of minutes. My baby got his because I am a born and bred Australian.


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 54
Users Flag! From australia

11 likes received
9 likes given
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

Is all your current ID from uk in your married name? If so I think it would be better for you to apply for Australian passport in your married name.
My ID is all in my married name including US passport, mortgage etc..and they still required an official change in was simpler to do in maiden name and change once we get back. On our visa app for my husband I used my maiden name also..

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work visa to support my girlfriend and our baby VKB Visas and immigration 5 02-11-2012 02:23 PM
Visa for my baby and husband (ex-PR holder) hsin Visas and immigration 3 11-27-2011 06:32 PM
Child Visa for our newborn baby robbiepapenfus Visas and immigration 1 05-29-2010 09:08 AM
Baby born offshore (VISA 457) Anantha Visas and immigration 2 02-16-2010 03:37 AM
Baby born in visa 457 LukeZuma Visas and immigration 1 02-12-2010 07:07 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.