Same Sex Couple Migration?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Same Sex Couple Migration?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 PM
jDv jDv is offline
Active Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Users Flag! From uk

3 likes received
Exclamation Same Sex Couple Migration?


My partner and I have decided to begin looking into moving to Australia temporarily for 1-3 years. We have both done our WHV's in our early 20's (now 29 & 34) so this is not an option.

We just wondered if anyone knows how easy / difficult it is or if anyone has experience of emigrating to Australia as a same sex couple?

We both have British nationality / passports, have been in a relationship for two years and lived together / paid bills at the same address for the past 18 months.

If one of us is offered a job with sponsorship by a company in Australia, can the other same sex partner also emigrate under that visa? What are the best options / visa's for us?

Any info or experiences with this would be appreciated!

Many thanks


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 199
Users Flag! From portugal

20 likes received
12 likes given
It shouldnt be a problem at all .
In the de facto partner visa it same sex relationship is considered valid, so you should be. Australia is quite open to same sex relationships and they are also legal too

All the best


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 AM
jDv jDv is offline
Active Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Users Flag! From uk

3 likes received
Thanks for your response.

I just looked through the Partner Migration booklet on the Australian Immigration website and all the information seems to refer to one of us having to be an Australian citizen to do partner / defacto migration? We are both British Citizens, will this still work? One of us will probably get a visa under Employer Sponsored Migration - what visa would that be and would the other person be able to relocate as a partner under that visa?

Sorry if we are missing any obvious points, this is the first time we have started looking into this and there is so much (conflicting) information on various websites that its all a bit overwhelming, but its not going to put us off!!! =)

  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 530
Users Flag! From australia

67 likes received
You are looking for skilled migration or employee sponsored visas. Use the search function on Immi website to look for these visa's and it will tell you where to find more info.

Whatnext: Australian Sponsor
Husband Brazilian

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2012, 12:55 PM
jDv jDv is offline
Active Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 24
Users Flag! From uk

3 likes received
Thanks for your help so far. Next question I have is this. My partner is not open about his sexuality at work as he would rather keep his professional and private life separate. If he applies for the Employer Sponsored Visa 457 and I apply as his defacto partner, will his new employer have to be made aware of his sexual orientation or do I apply for the defacto visa once his has been granted and do this separately from his application? My partner has the old fashioned view / opinion that gay people don't do as well and are overlooked for promotion in the workplace! Can you advise on he process involved? We intend to do this ourselves rather than use a migration agent!

457 Business Long Stay | 11/06/2013 Application received - processing commenced | 11/06/2013 Application fee received | 01/07/2013 Application being processed further | 08/07/2013 Applicant Approved

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greatest country of them all
Posts: 833
Users Flag! From australia

117 likes received
3 likes given
That's a tough one. The best thing will be if he includes you on his application as dependent. DIAC is one of the most private organizations ever, they never disclose or discuss applicants with anyone including employers. When they contact employers it's usually questions about the main applicant and that's it.

I do understand your partners concerns, who wouldn't, but Australia (Sydney) is even more open and understanding towards gay community than UK. There is a large gay community here and unless you go to "welfare" suburbs nobody cares if you kiss or hold your partner.

Anyway. I would do the following. If I'm filling the application and sending it to DIAC I would put my partner as dependent. As this saves a lot of time and money later. if the employer is filling it, let him consider again putting you on it.
If that is not an option I'll need to "invite" my partner which is a new visa process, costs more $$ which I would rather spend on cocktails and parties. It also means you'll need to prove your relationship, and unless you have a mere age certificate means a mountain of paperwork.
Third option, you might want to come on visit or WHV and apply for partner visa onshore, which is more or less the same as option 2.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

We are told to remember the idea, not the man. Because a man can fail. He can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Users Flag! From australia

need visa advice for same sex partner

I have a question about same sex partner immigration and would greatly appreciate any advice.
I am an Australian (living in Australia) and my partner is an American (lives in America). We have been in a long distance relationship for 18 months and travel every 6 months to spend time together. We want to look at the possibility of my partner immigrating to Australia, but as we don't/can't live together, what are the best options for visa?

many thanks,

Closed Thread

same sex migration

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A couple of Questions marsodo Visas and immigration 0 09-20-2011 08:40 PM
State Migration Plans/Relocating during Processing of Migration Application Hassan Warraich Visas and immigration 2 12-13-2010 12:34 AM
Couple migrating kinnie Visas and immigration 1 04-26-2010 05:31 AM
prospective for same sex couple jagoncillo Visas and immigration 1 01-28-2010 08:59 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.