Adding partner to 457 visa

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Visas and immigration

Visas and immigration The Australia Forum for visas, immigration and migration to Australia. Please use this section to discuss all your immigration and moving to Australia needs. Discuss visa types, time lines, submission dates, police checks and read our members' immigration success stories here.

Adding partner to 457 visa


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

Adding partner to 457 visa

Hi guys,

I am new to this informative site but could not fnid answers for my situation, howvere if it does exist can you please provide a link so that you can concentrate on trickier queries?!

I'll explain my odd situation as simply as possible. I am here on a 457 sponsorship visa since Sept 09, I was going out with a girl at time but was not sure how it would develop so whe was not included on the application. She had to return to the UK for work commitments but now they are complete we really want to live together here in Australia, however possible. My employer is happy to do whatever they can to help (apart from providing her with a job!) which I hope will make things easier. After speaking to the IMMI and migration agents I am getting conflicting advice so i hope you can help.

First I contacted the IMMI and presumed they would be the most accurate. They said she can be added as my partner on my 457 visa, so they just need a letter from my empoyer to say they are happy with my situation, will support her financially if she cannot find work (although i would support her myself), complete a 1066 form (like the one I completed for my visa), and $250 application fee.

This sounded too easy and too good to be true, is this possible??

I then contacted migration agencies and they told me a different story. They said we had to provide evidence of living together for at least 12 months (we have not lived together, shared bank accounts, or anything to be honest), so if this is the case I am not sure what we can do. I was hoping these were the requirements for a defacto visa or spouse visa....can anyone clarify this?

I just want to do whatever I can to get her here so that we can live and work together. She cant get a working holiday visa as she is from Hungary, a student visa would only allow her to work 20 hrs and a tourist visa has no work entitlements, and we really want to both work so that we can have as good a lifestyle as back home.

I hope someone has been through this before or can provide some advice, thanks in advance!

Confused


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

Any ideas? Anyone been through this? Thanks.


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2010, 11:21 PM
aba's Avatar
aba aba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 54
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to this informative site but could not fnid answers for my situation, howvere if it does exist can you please provide a link so that you can concentrate on trickier queries?!

I'll explain my odd situation as simply as possible. I am here on a 457 sponsorship visa since Sept 09, I was going out with a girl at time but was not sure how it would develop so whe was not included on the application. She had to return to the UK for work commitments but now they are complete we really want to live together here in Australia, however possible. My employer is happy to do whatever they can to help (apart from providing her with a job!) which I hope will make things easier. After speaking to the IMMI and migration agents I am getting conflicting advice so i hope you can help.

First I contacted the IMMI and presumed they would be the most accurate. They said she can be added as my partner on my 457 visa, so they just need a letter from my empoyer to say they are happy with my situation, will support her financially if she cannot find work (although i would support her myself), complete a 1066 form (like the one I completed for my visa), and $250 application fee.
This is incorrect.
The employer has to provide a letter stating that they will support the addition of your partner to your 457 visa and accept the associated sponsorship obligations. It has nothing to do with supporting her financially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
This sounded too easy and too good to be true, is this possible??

I then contacted migration agencies and they told me a different story. They said we had to provide evidence of living together for at least 12 months (we have not lived together, shared bank accounts, or anything to be honest), so if this is the case I am not sure what we can do. I was hoping these were the requirements for a defacto visa or spouse visa....can anyone clarify this?
You are correct, the 12 months living together applies to a spouse visa, not a 457.
Although you do not have to be living together for 12 month to add your partner to a 457, you still need to prove that you are in a committed relationship at the exclusion of all other. I believe that this will be difficult without having lived together at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
I just want to do whatever I can to get her here so that we can live and work together. She cant get a working holiday visa as she is from Hungary, a student visa would only allow her to work 20 hrs and a tourist visa has no work entitlements, and we really want to both work so that we can have as good a lifestyle as back home.

I hope someone has been through this before or can provide some advice, thanks in advance!

Confused
I can’t comment on what options are available without knowing all the facts of the situation but hope I have given you some clarification.

Raul T Senise Registered Australian Migration Agent, MARA No. 0636699
Home


  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,494
Please update your flag here .

128 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
Any ideas? Anyone been through this? Thanks.
I haven't been through it but in a previous conversation I've had with an Immi person, it was stated much as was told you to and as aba confirms, ie.
Quote:
First I contacted the IMMI and presumed they would be the most accurate. They said she can be added as my partner on my 457 visa, so they just need a letter from my empoyer to say they are happy with my situation, will support her financially if she cannot find work (although i would support her myself), complete a 1066 form (like the one I completed for my visa), and $250 application fee.
Though also, there was nothing said at the time re your employer financial support for a partner.

As aba also notes, the 12 months relationship proof is for partner visas which are of a permanent nature or leading to permanent residency.

There may be some requirements to show you have a relationship of some sort and if she was out here with you in Australia and then had to return for work commitments, that's a start.

I'm not aware of just how much information is required for a 457 partner visa but an application can be made online and so it should be easy enough for your Gf to go through it and see, ie.
Click on Start secondary visa application link @ Employer Sponsored Workers (e457) - Online Applications


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Thanks for the link, it has been very helpful. I am currently going through the same process of attaching my partner to my 457 visa. When we initially came to Aus almost a year ago we hadn't lived together before, so we've been accumulating joints accounts, bills, trips, pictures, etc as evidence.

As we're now ready to apply, I talked to my company's "Corporate Migration" agent, and she said the fee for application was $1750 + $260. Ouch! From what I can tell, the $1750 is purely the agency's fee, and I would love to not pay that. So I followed the link above to go through the application process online, and I am at the "Lodge and Pay" point of the process. What seems odd is that it has not yet asked me to attach any of the evidence, including the letter stating support from my employer. A few questions if you don't mind:

1) When I asked the agent how long the process would take after lodging the application, she said 1 week (which sounds awfully fast??). If we go through this process without the agent, could it potentially take much longer than that, since the agent is more adept at this process? We have a trip back to the US scheduled for late July, so we'd need this to be completed by then, since my partner can't travel during the application process.

2) Is there a template for this company letter of support? It seems to be the only article I'd get from the agent that I'm not clear on how to supply otherwise.

Thanks in advance!!


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 PM
aba's Avatar
aba aba is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 54
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
Thanks for the link, it has been very helpful. I am currently going through the same process of attaching my partner to my 457 visa. When we initially came to Aus almost a year ago we hadn't lived together before, so we've been accumulating joints accounts, bills, trips, pictures, etc as evidence.
As we're now ready to apply, I talked to my company's "Corporate Migration" agent, and she said the fee for application was $1750 + $260. Ouch! From what I can tell, the $1750 is purely the agency's fee, and I would love to not pay that.
Fees will vary considerably from agent to agent and there is no set fee as it may depend on the circumstances. As the 457 add on is usually a relatively simple application my fees for this service are considerably lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
So I followed the link above to go through the application process online, and I am at the "Lodge and Pay" point of the process. What seems odd is that it has not yet asked me to attach any of the evidence, including the letter stating support from my employer. A few questions if you don't mind:
You attach documents after you have lodged and paid for the application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
1) When I asked the agent how long the process would take after lodging the application, she said 1 week (which sounds awfully fast??). If we go through this process without the agent, could it potentially take much longer than that, since the agent is more adept at this process?
Generally this type of application will take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks. It can take longer if the case officer needs to request further documents or information because the application has been lodged incomplete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
We have a trip back to the US scheduled for late July, so we'd need this to be completed by then, since my partner can't travel during the application process.
Why do you say that your partner can not travel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
2) Is there a template for this company letter of support? It seems to be the only article I'd get from the agent that I'm not clear on how to supply otherwise.
There is no set template but the letter from the employer needs to cover specific points which are required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
Thanks in advance!!
Hope this helps.
Raul T Senise Registered Australian Migration Agent, MARA No. 0636699 Home


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to this informative site but could not fnid answers for my situation, howvere if it does exist can you please provide a link so that you can concentrate on trickier queries?!

I'll explain my odd situation as simply as possible. I am here on a 457 sponsorship visa since Sept 09, I was going out with a girl at time but was not sure how it would develop so whe was not included on the application. She had to return to the UK for work commitments but now they are complete we really want to live together here in Australia, however possible. My employer is happy to do whatever they can to help (apart from providing her with a job!) which I hope will make things easier. After speaking to the IMMI and migration agents I am getting conflicting advice so i hope you can help.

First I contacted the IMMI and presumed they would be the most accurate. They said she can be added as my partner on my 457 visa, so they just need a letter from my empoyer to say they are happy with my situation, will support her financially if she cannot find work (although i would support her myself), complete a 1066 form (like the one I completed for my visa), and $250 application fee.

This sounded too easy and too good to be true, is this possible??

I then contacted migration agencies and they told me a different story. They said we had to provide evidence of living together for at least 12 months (we have not lived together, shared bank accounts, or anything to be honest), so if this is the case I am not sure what we can do. I was hoping these were the requirements for a defacto visa or spouse visa....can anyone clarify this?

I just want to do whatever I can to get her here so that we can live and work together. She cant get a working holiday visa as she is from Hungary, a student visa would only allow her to work 20 hrs and a tourist visa has no work entitlements, and we really want to both work so that we can have as good a lifestyle as back home.

I hope someone has been through this before or can provide some advice, thanks in advance!

Confused
Hi Confused!

Have you had any luck with adding your partner to your 457 visa?
What were the requirements that you had to undergo and obtain.

Please I am in the same situation as you and am very confused.

Thanks

tozzielee


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

hello!

I am a filipina nurse working in saudi and my husband had his 457 visa last sept 2010 and been in sydney since that time,is he eligible to get me as his dependent for that short time that he is there?

can anyone advise me on whats the best course of action because my husband wants to put me as his dependent for his 457 visa but we dont know where to lodge the application?whether online or thru paper application,because when he went to paramatta immi office they gave him a vague answer that i have to apply in the philippines,we tried online application but we are asked regarding visa approval number OR TRN number and we really dont know where we can get or where we can see that?do we have to pay first before proceeding with the application for the partner visa online?
really so confused
please help


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,494
Please update your flag here .

128 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkriz View Post
hello!

I am a filipina nurse working in saudi and my husband had his 457 visa last sept 2010 and been in sydney since that time,is he eligible to get me as his dependent for that short time that he is there?

can anyone advise me on whats the best course of action because my husband wants to put me as his dependent for his 457 visa but we dont know where to lodge the application?whether online or thru paper application,because when he went to paramatta immi office they gave him a vague answer that i have to apply in the philippines,we tried online application but we are asked regarding visa approval number OR TRN number and we really dont know where we can get or where we can see that?do we have to pay first before proceeding with the application for the partner visa online?
really so confused
please help
I'd say you should be able to apply online and as far as the TRN goes that'll most likely be a TRN that was established when your husband applied for the 457 for it is his visa you'll attach your secondary application to.
Your husband should check advice he received in respect to his visa and there should be a TRN and if he cannot find it, je should be able to give Immi a ring to find out what it is.


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

thank you so much for the response,i will ask my husband to contact the immi dept in paramatta,thanks again


Closed Thread

Tags
457, 457 visa, immigration, sponsor, sponsorship

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clarification on adding memeber in already approved visa mailme1936 Visas and immigration 1 04-15-2012 06:20 PM
Adding partner to visa 475 being granted GloQui Visas and immigration 1 07-21-2011 08:10 PM
ENS 856 & Adding a Partner Query Stillwaiting79 Visas and immigration 0 05-02-2011 06:58 AM
RSMS visa - Adding fiancee to application alfredv Visas and immigration 7 04-11-2011 08:12 AM
Adding Dependent to my Visa Adnan Visas and immigration 1 05-14-2009 09:42 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
AustraliaForum.com