Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boat People - Will they affect our visa processing both on / offshore ??

20K views 128 replies 30 participants last post by  CollegeGirl 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, Am just wondering whether all those people that have arrived under the banner of "Asylum seekers" have any significant effect on the processing of our visas?:)

#3 ·
Samfisher Let me educate you !!!!!!!!!!...Zambia has NEVER NEVER had any civil war or conflict ever since we kicked out the colonial government therefore there is no Zambian here or abroad that has traveled to any country as an "Asylum seeker" (go and look up the definition of asylum seeker.) Myself included i came here via the proper channel.
Secondly, I was not "COMPLAINING" but trying to find out what ,if any the effects of people coming in through other illegal means.

#10 ·
I don't particularly like the term "boat people," either. =\

Honestly, yes, I do think they should take priority. My physical safety is not threatened on a daily basis because of war in my country or because I am of a religion or a sexual orientation my government doesn't agree with. I absolutely feel people who cannot live their lives in relative physical safety on a daily basis should take priority.

#14 ·
I don't particularly like the term "boat people," either. =\

Honestly, yes, I do think they should take priority. My physical safety is not threatened on a daily basis because of war in my country or because I am of a religion or a sexual orientation my government doesn't agree with. I absolutely feel people who cannot live their lives in relative physical safety on a daily basis should take priority.
I disagree. Don't get me wrong I agree that the safety and wellbeing of these people is imparative and i'm proud that Australia is a place where these people take refuge, but the people arriving by boats are being conned and not going about immigrating or asylum seeking in the correct manner. It's people smuggling and they pay a ridiculous amount to smugglers promising fields of gold on the other side. I'm sorry but most of them don't get priority (nor do I believe they should). It takes years for people who arrive that need to be detained to be processed. I dont like the treatment thats been reported in relation to the detention centres, but arriving in this manner must be stopped.

#15 ·
When people's physical safety isn't in danger, I agree with you.

But when it is? If there's gunfire outside your door and there's nowhere safe to go, are you going to wait around for months hoping another country will take you in or do what it takes to save your own life and the lives of your children? I don't know... I just think it's not black and white.

#16 · (Edited)

But when it is? If there's gunfire outside your door and there's nowhere safe to go, are you going to wait around for months hoping another country will take you in or do what it takes to save your own life and the lives of your children? I don't know... I just think it's not black and white.
Sure you're right it's not black and white but people smuggling is becoming a dangerous industry. These people are being tricked and Australia is not currently properly equipt to handle all the boats arriving. I am totally against people arriving by boat and hope that in the future there is a better/different way for refugees to find a safe home.

Its such a risk for everyone including those who get on the boat. After your read about a few of the boats that sink with all the people and children on board dying - and then you think of the greedy smugglers that capitalised on their dire situations for financial gain its just a sick sad process. Then theres the risk to Australia that people may make it to shore successfully. Even though these are people facing hardships they havent gone through the character assessments we have to go through. It could only take one person who could bring a new health or safety threat to Australia. This is where I want my children to grow up, I can't be supportive of this method of asylum.

#18 ·
CollegeGirl said:

I agree with you collegegirl.
My mother and I came to Australia on a humanitarian visa 17 years ago. We were in a safe country (Turkey) waiting for our visa to be issued (8 months) - but if we were in Iraq we would have hopped on a boat in a flash. Like collegegirl said its not all black and white and I'm not bothered if refugees or asylum seekers are processed before my husband. But I guess my opinion is skewed due to the fact that I have seen the 'other side'

#20 ·
So let's blame the smugglers and stop THEM, not blame the people seeking refuge from violence...

#22 ·
I wasn't speaking about what you'd said kamarees. I think you've been pretty thoughtful and careful not to place the blame where it doesn't belong. But I do think there's a lot of anti-immigrant bias in Australia right now and a lot of it gets taken out on these desperate people who want nothing more than to live somewhere where they're not in fear for their lives.

Reactions: Adventuress
#23 ·
That is very true and alot of it lies in the way our media presents the information. There is a general lack of understanding across the board and until people understand immigration as a whole rather than viewing these people as queue jumpers, the attitude won't change!

I just really feel by making arriving on boats easy and acceptable it encourages this terrible industry of smuggling. I wish there was a better way for people to seek refuge here.

#30 ·
I see you wouldn't like to refute your initial comment about illegal immigrants?

What does it even matter where they are from? Do you dislike some people differently compared to where they are from?

Sorry, I mis-read you statement... sure, maybe THIS week the majority are from Vietnam. But what is your point by stating this.

I apologise for my abruptness, but I despise the ever increasing ignorance and intolerance that is being developed and fostered in our society by the media, politicians and other people on immigration.

#33 ·
I have a client who works at diac and he flies back and forth from Brisbane to Christmas Island so I have heard the inside story straight from the horses mouth. Although there is always a certain percentage of genuine refugees amongst these people who arrive In our waters by boat the majority are not. And I resent the hell out of every single one of these queue jumping passport throwing away illegal immigrants who are slowing down my processing times and my security checks. The truth is the majority of these people have paid 10k each to get on the boat rather than wait for years in the queue or who have no hope of getting in the queue as they have no skills. I've lived in Malaysia and Cambodia and worked for free at NGOs for years so don't accuse me of having no sympathy for the genuine refugees. I know plenty f people who have jumped on the boat from Malaysia and not one of them were genuine they freely admitted they simply wanted a better life and didn't want to wait for normal processing times. I could have paid 10k myself for my man and he could have been here years ago but we chose to do the right thing. The more boats they let stay the more that will come. It's time to take a hard line with the fakes and make it easier for genuine refugees to be processed in a legal manner. There lies the real problem. It's simply too hard to do it genuinely so just jump on a boat.

#34 ·
My mothers partners daughter is a case worker for asylum seekers on Christmas Island. She told me many (of course not all) of the asylum seekers actually are quite well off but heard by word if mouth of the benefits Australians receive without working and how easy it is to get into Australia as a 'refugee.' She told me they often go on 'hunger strikes' and destroy things in the camp to have their demands met and seem to know very well what they could be entitled too should they succeed.
Now, I know there are absolutely genuine refugees and they need our help. I'm proud were in a position to help them and I think it's a great thing but many people who are not genuine are being smuggled in and they are not 'refugees'. I think it's sad for the real refugees. Like Kamarees said more than anything the people smugglers are the problem....the people they bring have to pay large sums of money to get aboard their boat an many of them are quite well off. It offends me that they come to our country, dictate to us about how fast they will be processed and what they will receive if they succeeded. These people are making it so much harder for truly desperate people and are taking advantage of australian tax payers. Not only is that an issue but also the extremely dangerous trip that I think many of the people buying places on boats are unaware of. In my opinion, people smugglers should be held accountable for this and face heavy charges.
Its not fair that some people 'jump the line' because they don't want to wait or think they will receive more benefits under a humanitarian visa. I think more work needs to be done to stop people arriving on boats and start getting people to apply the right way.

#35 ·
If one can afford to leave their original country and then subsequently pay a handsome amount to be on board a boat to come into Australian water, I think they are just taking the shortcut.

I know the situation in their home country is very hostile and challenging, but that doesn't mean they can jump the queue by doing this. It is also unfair to their own people that are unable to leave the country due to lack of resources. I think those left behind have a stronger case as in seeking refuge than those that came in in boats.

And, please tell me, does it mean if someone came in boat, they are automatically refugee? If this is the case and become a norm, then we might see more boats coming in, which means, more tragedy (e.g. boat sinking in high sea, riot in the detention centre etc) waiting to happen. Do you still think it is a good idea?

It is actually a lose-lose situation for everyone, except the people smugglers that are laughing all the way to the bank.

#39 ·
I am always amazed at the number of people who 'know someone' who is on the inside of these immigration detention centers who always aver that 90% of them are economic refugees but that when you look at the final figures after all the proper processing procedures have been done you find that actually 90% of those presenting are given refugee status.

#40 · (Edited)
Are you trying to imply I'm a liar?

I'm only writing what I was honestly told. I don't believe they are all 'economic refugees'....if you read my comment above, I believe the people smugglers are the main issue and that they are making things harder for refugees. They are not interested in your welfare, they simply make promises of a better life and leave out the great risk to people's lives in order to make money. This is the problem.

#42 ·
The fact that 90% of boat people are granted visas does not mean they are a genuine refugee. Hat it means is that they have thrown away their Id and have a good cover story. Diac does checks on them but how can they prove or disprove their stories when they come from countries that don't have electronic records like us, so no way to check records or fingerprints. So consequently they can't be disproved so they are allowed to stay.

#44 ·
Yes - It will affect the amount of refugees australia sponsors in from the UNHCR refugee camps from around the world. To date, no application from these camps will be looked at for the next three years as the people who bought their tickets in Jakarta and jumped on the boats are getting the visa quotas.

#48 ·
Good question and I have some thoughts!

Work closely with countries (i.e Indonesia) where people smugglers are rife to increase penalties for those caught as well as task force type police teams policing them.

A national hotline for Australia and these countries where people can "dob in a smuggler" similar to what we have here where you can dob in an illegal immigrant.

Create more places in the humanitarian visa program. Currently there are only a few hundred of these visa's granted per year...

Working in the countries where the asylum seekers arrive from by boat to educate on the risks of getting on the boat, and the result at the other end - i.e. years in detention. Maybe even assist those interested in applying for visa's the right way. A dangerous job in many places I am sure, it's just a suggestion.

Just to name a few...

#47 ·
This might be a long shot but call me the next Tony Abbott you see..
I would love for this whole refugee arrivals on boat be stopped completely.
It is getting too dangerous and expensive for Australia and for the refugees and economic migrants travelling on those weak boats.

What Australia should do is to set up centres from where we have been receiving refugees and economic migrants for the past few years. The government has to then set up talks with these country officials and COME TO A DECISION. I know it is hard, but hell, THERE IS NO CONCRETE DECISION BEING TAKEN .
And the further we keep pushing this , Theres going to be more economic migrants taking advantage of this and the real refugees would lose their ability to flee their country and get to Australia for a safe haven.
The people smugglers will do their business as usual and as a strong government and a developed country at that, Australia should be unanimous in dealing with this situation as soon as possible. I know there is a lot of complications . But its not that bad where we are taking YEARS to solve the issue.
Thats not good governance. I wish this would end up a WIN WIN situation for everyone involved, excluding the economic illegal migrants and the people smugglers, because they're the ones abusing the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.