Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Working Holiday running out options

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Wanderer 
#1 ·
Hi guys, my 1st working holiday is coming to an end but i havent carried out any harvest work so cant apply for a second one.

Is it possible to apply for a tourist visa while in Australia as i only want to stay for another further 2 months. I understand i cant work in Australia during this period.

Can someone please help me out with some options - ie i heard i can go new zealand and come back on a tourist visa.

Thanks

#2 ·
The cheapest way to stay a bit longer in Australia after doing just the first WHV is to travel out [ NZ being closest from east coast ] and then apply for an ETA - see Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) or if you're eligible for an eVisa, that is free - Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) - Online Applications and eVisitor - Online Applications

There is one aspect you need to manage in heading to NZ and that is that entry for there is dependent on you having an onward flight to a country for which you have a right of entry and so there's two ways you can do that:
1. Book a return flight to NZ for a few days before your WHV ends with return on the at least the day before it ends.
On arrival in NZ you apply for the ETA, it usually being granted instantaneously or the eVisa and that ought to be granted quick enough too.

2. The other way if you leave it to the WHV last day beore heading to NZ is to buy a refundable ticket from NZ to Fiji and then on arrival you get your ETA or eVisa to return to Oz and cancel your Fiji ticket, a bit more messing atound and you may lose some ammount of money with your Fiji ticket cancellation.

#3 ·
Thanks Wanderer for the quick responce.
I like the idea of the 1st option. Just another question, i cant really get my head around the difference between the ETA visa and the eVisa. Im a British national that just requires an additional 2 months for travelling purposes. eVisa's are free so that would suit me more. Would this be possible?
Last question - Would I need a VISA for New Zealand if I was going for just 1 week, returning back to Australia?
Thanks

#4 ·
I've heard in the UK, the eVisa is automatically defaulted to when one applies for the ETA, probably because the former is free and the main difference is that an eVisa is good for just three months whereas though an ETA is also only good for a three month period in one hit, you can do multiples within the 12 month validity period and eVisas are possibly going to have a no further stay condition whilst an ETA doesn't but in your case an eVisa should be fine for what you want.

No visa required for NZ, but just an otbound flight or otherwise an airline will not let you board.

#5 ·
Thanks again...it starts to make more sense.

I was just looking at the tourist visa, which mentions that the application can be lodged whilst in Australia for an extended stay but not sure if this is the case for someone on a WHV. Could this be a cheaper option rather then fly to new zealand and back? or do i have to go outside the country to lodge an extension?
Thanks

#6 ·
Whilst tourist visa applications can be made in Australia, usually to extend an existing presence on a tourist or another visa, the WHV is an exception [ as it states on bottom of that 417 page I linked ] and then to be able to stay further on a 417 by other than a second 417 or some other visa, there need to be exceptional circumstances like being hospitalised.

The application of the regs that way does seem to discriminate against 417 holders but I suppose they have done it that way, hopefully to lessen the chance of holders staying longer to work a bit more.

#8 ·
There's a few stories about re claiming of tax and when you're on a WHV you are still required to pay tax [ and at a higher rate if you did not qualify for residency - meaning you needed to have resided somewhere permanently for at least six months and lived more or less like a local - a section on it @ Australian Taxation Office Homepage under personal.

If you were resident for taxation but taxed at the higher non resident rate, in doing a tax return you could get back quite a bit.

The other thing I've heard of in recent years [ not so much lately ] is that there have been some taxation agents about claiming to get good returns for people and also taking a good commission and one approach I've heard they take is to have clients claim they were resident for taxation purposes even if they weren't - Tax fraud!

That may work and if stories are true, it has for some though I've also read of people getting please explain letters after having left the country and it'll occur that way because the taxation system works these days on limited checking and category audits but once they become aware of rorts, you can expect they'll be on to a category more regularly.

As far as the taxation department goes, it'll always be the person signing the return form who is responsible and that's you and not the agent.

Regardless of what you claim or can claim, the taxation year runs to June 30, though you should be able to put a return in earlier.
There is also superannuation that may have been paid on your behald, or should have been by employers and you have to have left before claiming that [ should be about 9% of earnings ] , details on the ato site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.