Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information - View Single Post - Online Work and Holiday Visa: Bank Statement
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 12:45 PM

Users Flag! From usa

28 likes received
21 likes given
Online Work and Holiday Visa: Bank Statement

Hi. This is my first time posting on this forum although I have been lurking around for atleast a week now. Thanks to everyone here I have found the answer to all of my questions... except one. I know that the answer to this question is more than likely lying around here somewhere... I hope you don't mind if I ask it again.

I'm an American currently living in Japan and I'm 95% ready to lodge my Work and Holiday Visa application online: I have my birth certificate, passport bio data pages, college transcript, passport photos and even an FBI background check that I apparently don't even need all color-scanned and saved as PDF files. All that remains is proof of funds... Sadly, I wont have $5,000 AUD (as mentioned on the application checklist and immi website) in my bank account until my next payday which is 3 weeks away....

My questions are: Is a bank statement/proof of funds required at the time of applying online or is it something that will (supposedly) be requested upon arrival (if at all)? Has anyone applied for a Work and Holiday (or Working Holiday) Visa online WITHOUT submitting proof of funds at the time of submitting the application? If so, how did that go?

I would think that proof of funds wouldn't be required upon applying as one can apply for the visa months before one actually enters the country on it and in that span of time one could go from having $5,000 to having $0, but I know that thing aren't always logical...

I'm very anxious to go ahead and apply for the visa now without proof of funds, but at the same time I dont want to risk the application fee if proof of funds is required...

Ah, and one more question: Need bank statements be translated...?

The checklist and immi website specifically say that ALL documents that aren't in English must be accompanied by a translation. One would think that bank statements are generally self-explanatory...

Thanks in advance.