Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Contributory Parent Visa

9K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ab_uma 
#1 ·
Dear All,

I need help to know more information about Contributory parent visa.

I am a PR holder and i have completed 2 years. I got engaged recently and marriage will be another 2 months. My fiancé is also a PR holder but he has recently arrived to Australia.

My questions are:

1. Can I sponsor my mother in-law?
2. I am planning to bring her here on visitor visa, while she is here can I apply for Contributory Parent temporary visa.

I could not get this information in the govt immigration website and I am getting more confuse.

Hope I will get clear answer.

Thanks in advance,
uma

#2 ·
There are likely some issues for you there if you have a read of Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 864) the visa being for the parent of a child settled in Australia, not a child in law.
There is also the possibility of a parent on a tourist visa having a No Further Stay condition so it could be they'll need to apply from outside of Australia.
There is however mention of people being on a 676 tourist visa and ministerial intervention - Contributory Aged Parent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 864)

#3 ·
Thanks and I appreciated your response.

But my mother in-law is of 53 year old and she does not come under Aged parent category. She is a widow and fully dependent on my fiancé. Before she used to work as a teacher now she has taken volunteer retirement.
She is having another child daughter, she is also getting marry & moving to Australia.

We do not want to leave mom in-law left alone.

I have gone through the Contributory parent visa - there we need to wait some considerable amount of time, but not exactly specified.

So we thought, bring her here as a visitor visa & apply for parent visa. In that waiting period she can stay here with us.

Is there any possibilities?

Thanks in advance.

Uma 

#4 ·
You may have noted there is the difference between offshore and onshore applications and the first thing you need to do is check eligibility .
In the case of parent visas, the onshore ones have the aged requirement so you can count that out.
You can lodge an offshore visa when the applicant is in Australia but they need to be offshore to have the application granted.
Whilst you as a partner can be the sponsor for the offshore visa, one eligibility requirement is for the child to be settled in Australia.
Your MIL could apply for a tourist visa but Immi do look for reasons that a person is just visiting and has an intent to return before granting them.
They'll possibly look more easily on the situation once a parent visa has been applied for and though extensions can be applied for, tourist visas will have a finite length and so it is likely your MIL will need to leave Australia at some time prior to when she would have to for the parent visa grant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.