Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information - View Single Post - Good Places to visit?
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 04:24 AM

Please update your flag here .

138 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I am actually planning to go and see Jenolan Caves. Would Lithgow be the best place to stop? Should I actually spend a night there to have enough time to see everything?
Lithgow ain't really the best town as far as visitors go and the only reason I'd stay over that way would be id planning to take in the Zig Zag Railway as well and there's also Mt. Tombah Botanical gardens but there's some smaller villages about rather than Lithgow itself, more a town to service the coal mining - there just once and easily forgettable!.
Depending on budget, if you cannot afford to stay at Caves House, check what's available around Katoomba, Blackheath, Leura etc. and there're heaps of bed and breakfasts about, a lot rather pricey but probably a few more moderately priced about too, and if you do not mind a YHA hostel, Katoomba has one of the best rated with apparently great views.
Oberon is another place you may want to consider staying in, there being some nice old pubs and also do a bit of searching re farm stays if interested for there's a few places right down in the valleys too that'll be pleasantly different from hurly burly touristy life above.
A couple of other places that are worth making the extra time to look see while nearly there are doing a drive around the Mouunt Panorama roads that become Bathurst Race Circuit at race times and also check out Kanangra Walls.
The road from the BM via Jenolan and on to Goulburn is all sealed now and you could make an interesting loop tour from southern suburbs if you wanted to take an extra couple of days.
Head across via Warragamba if you haven't been there before, a picnic lunch [ and I think the Safari Park is long gone! ] , yes it is and some interesting escapes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...ri_(Warragamba)
And then head for Windsor, Australia's mainland oldest licensed hotel and a nic place for a counter tea or afternoon coffee at shops opposite - Cappacino and Cake $5 specials, one best value about or 50 cents extra for Muggacino.
You can head out from Windsor on Bells Line Road and find accommodation that way towards Mt. Tombah, this being a more peaceful way to go up into the BM than the western motorway drag.
After BM and Jenolan/Kanangra Walls you could take the drive through towards Goulburn but you can turn off before Taralga on to a gravel road for Wombeyan Caves, also worth a look and you can stop overnight.
Wombeyan Caves Camping Reserve
The travelling through this countryside is part of the reason to visit and from the Wombeyan Caves on towards the Wollondilly R. crossing and beyond you'll see what I mean, that route taking you through to near Mittagong.
If you want somewhere else to stay before heading home, the Surveyor General Hotel at Berrima has some history.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-24-2010 at 04:27 AM.