Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Change of Assurance of Support Legislation of contributory Parent Visa (143)

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  1Sam1 
#1 ·
On 26 March 2018, the Minister for Social Service Dan Tehan has introduced a legislative instrument to amendment the financial criteria for Assurance of Support in which all Australian Citizens and permanent residents who wish to sponsor their overseas parents to come to Australia under 143 Contributory Parent visa program have to meet.

Under current new requirement, the taxable income for sponsor will almost double compared with previous one, and the years required to meet the requirement has increased from 2 years to 3 years.Such as 1 adult assurer to provide assurance for 1 parent has to be at least $58,860.94 annually(previous required amount only a little bit over $30000). And assurer has married or has a de facto partner the income requirement will be significantly increased to $88,291.41 annually regardless of whether or not this partner or spouse is willing to be jointly included into the assurance of support.

Who will be affected by this amendment?

All Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents who have parents overseas are or will be affected in following ways:

You will be required for higher taxable income, different from assessable income, which means you cannot exercise your legitimate rights to claim a tax deduction to legally minimise your taxation burden

You will face much more higher taxable income requirements if you have a spouse or de facto partner, especially when you have at least one child and your spouse or partner is resigned and taking care of your child at home

You will be affected if you have already lodged a 143 visa application for your parents and you may not satisfy the new income requirements as it almost doubled up the previous requirement.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is my understanding that this will be applied retrospectively to exisiting applications, where no AoS has been applied for yet. So it would basically apply to all new AoS applications. I need to confirm this.

#3 ·
Yes, I also came to know about it just yesterday. Shocked that they can simply make sneaky changes even after you have lodged the application.

Also, if I read that correctly, it all depends on your last 2 tax returns as well. Say if your taxable income was not 88,xxx AUD for the last 2 years, you will not qualify.

#5 ·
And get a fine from the tax office for not declaring your income correctly ? I think a lot of sponsors may have to start using expensive commercial AOS providers.

Reactions: aussiesteve
#7 ·
All visas that currently require an AOS. Partner visas do currently not require an AoS.

#11 ·
I wonder how long it will be until we see situations like the UK where partner sponsors are required to meet minimum income amounts? The increase in the Income required for someone to to give an Assurance of Support seems a big jump, but then I understand the amount has remained constant for around 10 years at least, if they had have had it indexed to the CPI , it would have been at $38,000 by now.

#13 ·
This is such a tough increase and as some have said it is aimed at the poorer families on lower incomes. I am almost at the end of my 143 application and hopefully be asked to have Meds and checks next month. I feel so sorry for those who's AOS do not meet the new figures but it is especially hard hit by the fact that they now have to provide the previous 3 years of salary figures.
I wish everyone the best of luck in trying to find a way through this tough stance by the department.

#15 ·
This is such a tough decision without any previous notice.
Anyone knows What will happen to those peope who are on 173 visa and already paid $30000(single parent) for 2 years visa. And they still need to lodge 143 visa and assurance of support as well. If sponsers are not qualified for new income, Are they going to loose $30000? So confused 😞

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.