Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information - View Single Post - Bridging Visa alternative for Citizenship by Descent wait period?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 10:34 PM

Please update your flag here .

Bridging Visa alternative for Citizenship by Descent wait period?

Hi everyone. I'm an Australian citizen who has been living overseas for the last several years, and recently moved back with my wife (married overseas) and daughter (born overseas). They both came to Australia a month ago under ETA (tourist) visas, which only allow you to stay in the country for 3 months, so we have applied for a partner visa for my wife and a "citizenship by descent" for my daughter.

My wife has already been issued a "bridging visa A" which will be activated when the ETA expires, but my daughter has not, as it seems that bridging visas aren't issued for "citizenship by descent" applications.

My daughter still has two months left on her current visa, and I know that she may receive her citizenship by then (according the average processing times), but if she doesn't then she's here illegally, and that's not a risk I want to take.

Can anyone suggest alternatives to a bridging visa in this situation?

Thanks in advance.