Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information - View Single Post - 820/801 De facto Partner Visa
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 05:36 AM

Please update your flag here .

1 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanetienne View Post
Hi all,
I am sponsoring my partner for a 820/801 visa. We have been together for a bit over a year but only lived together (same address) for the last 3 months.

According to the visa website, you need to be in a defacto relationship for one year before applying, and the definition of a defacto relationship includes "living together".

Considering the processing time, by the time they start assessing our case we will have lived together for more than a year, do you think it's okay to apply in those conditions? I don't want her/us to waste $7000+...

Thanks for your help
Hi, Its always better to have a well-experienced immigration agent if your case is complicated. with my understanding, you need to register your relationship with the respective state you reside in. Look at the below law about defacto relationship.

According to regulation 2.03A of the Migration Regulations 2014, de facto partners must have been in a continuing and genuine, cohabitational relationship for at least 12 months prior to the date of application. If this criterion is not satisfied, applicants must establish compelling and compassionate circumstances for the grant of the visa, unless the relationship has been registered under the law of the applicable State or Territory.

thanks
V