Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information - View Single Post - 820 Temporary Onshore - Waiting Room!
View Single Post
  #5825 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 PM
Maggie-May24 Maggie-May24 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,158
Users Flag! From canada

1518 likes received
148 likes given
Originally Posted by sm13 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to this forum and have decided to join in and post after a friend recommended it to me.

I was hoping I could get a little guidance as I didn't find the Gov Immi helpline very helpful.

I'm from the UK and currently on a Working Holiday Visa (first year). My partner (Australian) and I have been together for almost 2 1/2 years and we are currently looking at applying for a De Facto partner visa.

I am currently working at a great company that would like to offer me a full time role. However, I have heard that the bridging visa mirrors your current working restrictions. My current visa only allows me to work at one company for no more than 6 months and I have found it incredibly hard to find jobs and stability.

My questions are
- Whether anybody else is in/has been in a similar situation
- If anyone knows of any way around this or what I can do so I can work without restrictions?

Having to do potentially almost 2 1/2 years of temp jobs is really deterring me from applying. It doesn't seem like a sustainable condition for any applicant.

My visa expires soon and my partner and I are completely new to this process.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
The Immigration help line is unfortunately not a good source of information as this isn't what they're trained for.

If you lodge your onshore partner visa, you will be granted a bridging visa A which will give you unrestricted work rights (this is always the case when applying for a partner visa). If you haven't yet reached the 6-month limit with your employer, you could simply continue working once the bridging visa takes effect. If you will reach the 6-month limit before your WHV expires, you could submit a completed form 1445 ( and ask that they lift the 6-month limitation. From what I've heard, they are usually pretty agreeable to this and it's listed as one of the "exceptional situations" where it's possible for them to lift the 6-month limitation.

Good luck!
186 visa - Temporary Residence Transition stream
Granted Dec 2013

Reply With Quote