Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello Everyone! Need some answers. TQ! :)

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Wanderer 
#1 ·
Greetings from Singapore!

Going to be in Brisbane in March to be with my boyfriend under tourist visa. I hope to be there for a year but then my visa only allow me to stay for 3 month per visit.. So most likely will have to apply for extension or travel to NZ and then back again. Trying to fulfill the 12 months requirement before I can apply for De Facto visa. >.<

I would love to have some advise if anybody had try to stay in Australia for a year or more with tourist visa? Do you have any problem with the custom?

And also, I would love to get some insights on the cost in terms of weekly or monthly is fine.

1. Food (How much and where can I get the cheapest? Farmers Market, Coles, Woolworth or where? :p)

2. Electricity/Gas/Water (I am using switchwise website to estimate, just want to know if it is reliable)

Thanks for taking time to help me! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Some tourist visas allow for applying for another visa and it'll depend on whether a No Further Stay 8503 condition has been put on the visa, so check your grant advice and other details via Tourists - Visitors - Visas & Immigration .
As for doing return trips to NZ you can be questioned on your return re intent and funds, especially because tourist visas do not allow working.
If you have reasonable funds earlier on and no NFS condition you may be better off to apply for a 12 month or at least a six month tourist visa and then with it possibly having a NFS condition you may only have to fo one trip to NZ at the end to get 12 months together, either way it being a gamble and you will always want to be able to show funds and what additional visiting you want to do, so having a rough itinerary can be a good idea.
Food wise, eating sparingly and making good use of supermarket specials [ Aldi stores being great ] a single person basic food costs could come in at between $5-10/d and do some dumper diving with the local Freegans and it could be even cheaper!
HowStuffWorks "How Freegans Work"
Well before it was as mainstream as what it is becoming, I used to collect greens from backs of supermarkets for a small herd of goats and what would be chucked out was absolutely amazing.
Will the Bf not have Elec./gas/water covered? and for the internet, use his too and if you want some limited use through the day, join the local library and at many you do not even have to and can get many hours for free.

#3 ·
Some tourist visas allow for applying for another visa and it'll depend on whether a No Further Stay 8503 condition has been put on the visa, so check your grant advice and other details via Tourists - Visitors - Visas & Immigration[/url] .
As for doing return trips to NZ you can be questioned on your return re intent and funds, especially because tourist visas do not allow working.
If you have reasonable funds earlier on and no NFS condition you may be better off to apply for a 12 month or at least a six month tourist visa and then with it possibly having a NFS condition you may only have to fo one trip to NZ at the end to get 12 months together, either way it being a gamble and you will always want to be able to show funds and what additional visiting you want to do, so having a rough itinerary can be a good idea.
Food wise, eating sparingly and making good use of supermarket specials [ Aldi stores being great ] a single person basic food costs could come in at between $5-10/d and do some dumper diving with the local Freegans and it could be even cheaper!

Well before it was as mainstream as what it is becoming, I used to collect greens from backs of supermarkets for a small herd of goats and what would be chucked out was absolutely amazing.
Will the Bf not have Elec./gas/water covered? and for the internet, use his too and if you want some limited use through the day, join the local library and at many you do not even have to and can get many hours for free.

Thanks for replying me. The visa part takes me a good 2 hours to read, to be honest, I end up being more confused :p

Hmm.. Not really keen to be a freegan at this moment.. >.<

Bf will move out and start living on his own, so I am trying to work out a budget to stick to (he is hopeless with money) So, information on monthly expenses would be very useful to me. :)

I would prefer to get a monthly internet plan where both of us can use the net at the same time without fighting.. hehe

#4 ·
The monthly services expenses will obviously depend on what size place you rent, life style led etc. but if it's just for a couple in a smallish unit, something like $150/month could be more than enough and tell the Bf to get his act together and have a look at some monthly bills of where he is now or have a look at a friends bills.
Monthly internet/phone plans could be anywhere from $50 to `$150 depending on what you want/use and so best to see what the different companies have, there being plenty of options to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.