Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mother Australian citizen baby born in UK

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Wanderer 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum and was hoping that someone could offer some help on a few questions I have.

I am an Australian Citizen and am currently living in the UK on a spouse visa. My british husband and I have just had a baby and we are wanting to move back to Australia with our daughter.

Basically my question is, can my daughter become a citizen automatically because I'm Australian or will I need to apply for her to become a citizen. Can she have a dual citizenship for the UK and Australia? if yes, what age can she get this from?

Any information would be really helpful

Many thanks

#2 ·
Your daughter is an Australian Citizen by birth but with birth overseas it seems you first need to get a citizenship certificate before applying for her passport, details @ https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Newppt/Overseas/OSChild.aspx
You may be able to apply for both at the same time by visiting Australia House and you'll also need both parents consent I have seen somewhere.

I know of people holding dual Oz./Brit citizenship and possibly no reason why that should not continue with her father a Brit and really up to the UK on what is involved there if you want a Brit passport for her at some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.