Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills Assessment - I'm Confused if I qualify

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Wanderer 
#1 ·
Hello people,

Hope you are well..Merry Xmas...I am looking at applying for an Australian PR and have hit a roadblock with respect to the skilled occupation/assessment list.

This is why

- I'm a Mechanical Engineer (May 2005) with MBA (May 2008) by graduation
- Post this, I worked as a "Product Manager" in a dotcom - so this is more of a technology role. This was for 14 months until August 2009.
- Since then, I have been running my own venture from home ( I do not have a registered business. Working from home, that is).

So, I came across these statements from the documents

You will only be awarded points for your nominated occupation if you meet the following:

the occupation you nominate is on the SOL current at the time you make your application
the relevant Australian assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation determines that your skills are suitable for that occupation.
Now since I am a Mechanical engineer, I appear to be qualified. But,

To meet the recent work experience requirement, you must demonstrate that you have been employed:

in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
for at least 20 hours a week
in a paid position
for at least 12 of the 24 months immediately before lodging your visa application.
Note: If you are nominating a specified trade occupation, your recent work experience must be in your nominated occupation. Other work experience in an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) will not be considered.
Now, firstly, since I was running my own online business over the past 14 months, the only "legal experience" appears to be between December 2008 and August 2009 which is less than 12 of the 24 months.

Secondly, I appear to be fine with my graduation (Mechanical engineering). But my experience is in a different field.

So what is your opinion? Does my chance appear bleak?

See less See more
#3 ·
Part of eligibility is the recent experience for skilled immigration is all about granting visas to people who are susposedly workforce ready so experience is part of that along with qualifications and english language ability.
If you want to pursue immigration you ought to see about getting yourself back into the paid workforce or alternately you may want to consider whether an employer sponsorship is a possibility but that is difficult from abroad.
Are you young enough [ 30 or under ] to apply for a working holiday visa and do three months regional work in first twelve months and you'll be eligible for a second 12 months, age permitting and that could give you two years in Australia to seek engineering employment, perhaps pick up a sponsorship or even 12 months of engineering experience to be eligible for an independent skilled visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.