Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information - View Single Post - which visa do i need to be on when appling for an onshore 801 visa?
View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Inkhearted Inkhearted is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 182
Users Flag! From usa

91 likes received
33 likes given
You shouldn't be coming to Australia on a tourist visa with the intent to apply for a different visa on shore. To legally enter Australia on a tourist visa, you need to be intending to be a tourist. Entering on a tourist visa to apply for a different visa is sort of like skipping ahead--there are tons of people waiting for their offshore partner visas.

You can apply onshore with all different sorts of visas that allow you to be in Australia--student visas, tourist visas, skilled work visas, working holiday visas... but you should enter Australia with the intent of using your visa for what it was intended for. If plans change later, well, that's why they have the onshore visa.

Since you've contacted immigration already, I'd guess they'd be a little suspicious of your intentions when you arrive.