Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information - View Single Post - debts to centerlink
View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 AM
SarahM SarahM is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,145
Users Flag! From australia

150 likes received
169 likes given

Depending on your income, considering you have a debt to pay you may be asked to provide an Assurance of Support (AoS). If you are earning enough money, the fact that you're paying a debt won't change anything; if however immigration doesn't think you have enough funds to support yourself aswell as your partner they will ask for an AoS.

You cannot organise an AoS until immigration sends a letter asking for one (this will be asked for near the end of the visa process, once eveything else is cleared). You must then find someone, or a group of up to 3 people, who have enough funds to support your partner. They go to centrelink and centrelink assesses their capability to be an AoS. Once the AoS is approved the visa will be granted.