Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

US FBI Police Check - whats the latest waiting times?

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Janani Hari 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My question is - has anyone received their FBI check this year (2014)?

This is my first post and I am really excited to progress my visa applications to stay in Sydney (I am here on a 417 working holiday now).

I have two options - the partner defacto or possibly the skilled immigration. Either visa app needs an FBI check as I lived in the US for a couple of years from 2010.

All previous threads on FBI police check timings are back from mid 2013 or earlier so I wandered what the current wait times are.

I only sent mine off in mid May so I am waiting 6 weeks before calling them up to check on the progress. No money has been taken out at this point (approx 3 weeks since the application was delivered).

I am just a little worried after hearing about so many people getting their prints rejected.

My prints were taken in Sydney and are of the live scan variety - I dont know if these are more likely to be accepted by the FBI.

Cheers
Ed

See less See more
#3 ·
I did ink prints in California and had them processed in less than 2 months. They sent a very basic letter to my house saying I wasn't in the system for any crimes. The place I went to wouldn't let me do livescan for FBI because there was no clear form for FBI livescan. Department of Justice in California was through livescan and took less than a week to process.

Hope this helps!

#4 ·
Thanks Breiza and MessaUSA for the quick responses. Glad that you got your rap sheets without too many problems,

I guess its a little too early for me to get worried :)

I want to ask, how long did the FBI take to cash out the $18 fee?

(And I hope the live scan will be ok, the local police station here didnt give me the option for ink - I guess its quicker and less messy for them :)

Thanks!

#6 ·
I sent ink prints to the FBI at the end of March 2014 and had the letter back with the results in just under 3 weeks. I used a money order so I'm not sure when they cashed it. I gave a US address to send the results to so I think that this helped make the process quicker.

If you don't live in the US you could have a friend there receive them for you and colour scan a copy and email it to you and then send you the original by snail mail?

#7 ·
I've had to do two, one in 2011, the most recent in 2013. The process in 2011 took 4 months, but the turnaround in 2013 was only 3 weeks! In short, it varies considerably. Plan for a long wait, but hope for the best. As for the prints, don't worry too much. My most recent prints were done by a shaky old constable at a police station in country Victoria, and they were accepted without issue.

Reactions: Dinkum and esuwr
#8 ·
Thanks carobear and johnfm,

Seems like it was quite quick for you guys. We did have friends in New York but didn't think to get the results sent there. I wonder if having a US address does speed it up (postage takes about a week or so I think to Oz).

Hmm, I may give them a quick call at the end of next week then. Another poster on a related thread mentioned that the customer service guys are actually pretty nice and helpful :)

Cant wait to get these prints - seems like this is one of the most stressful parts of the process (apart from waiting on my IELTS results in a couple of weeks - gulp)

Thanks!

#11 ·
I'm just now trying to get an appointment scheduled with the state of Texas thru their channeler (seems to be the only option for state check). Apparently the channeler also does the FBI submission. Does anyone know if immi is accepting the reports thru the channeler? It's Morphotrust, if that helps. Thanks!

#13 ·
The Australian Embassy in DC says not to use a channeler for the FBI check.

"► Police checks from channelers for FBI police checks are NOT acceptable for Australian immigration purposes. Please consult the FBI website for information on obtaining a clearance directly form the FBI."

I'm not sure how they feel about using one for the state check though.

#15 ·
Hi guys,

Just wanted to give a heads up that I received my US FBI letter last Monday. So just over 6 weeks from posting from Sydney and getting a reply! Way quicker than I was expecting!!

I had sent in two requests, one for me and one for my girlfriend and we both got letters the same day.

Confirmation of no criminal activity :D

Cheers!

#16 ·
Hi esuwr,

Congratulations. I am still waiting on mine. Could you please let me know how long the FBI took to debit the money from the time they received your finger prints? Also from the time they take the money out how long did it take for you to receive the letter? I sent mine out on June 7th they have received it on Jun 16th but still no money has been taken from my account so just wanted to know how long they took for you...thanks!

#19 ·
I am about to do my FBI prints. Did you print the form from the FBI website for your prints (so it is just on office paper) or did you guys have a fingerprint card?
If so where did you get this card?

Did you just go to a police station for them? I am here in Sydney does anyone know where to have them done? Thanks heaps!

#22 ·
Hi Australi

You can print the fingerprint form (FD 258) on a regular A4 white paper. You will need to book an appointment with the NSW police. Check their website for finger printing locations. I got mine done last month at Melbourne at the Vic police station. But they have separate locations which have the finger printing service and they charge a fee for this. You need to take the fd 258 form with you after filling out all the details. The fbi website has clear instructions . Check the link below

FBI - Submitting an Identity History Summary to the FBI

Hope this helps.

I am about to do my FBI prints. Did you print the form from the FBI website for your prints (so it is just on office paper) or did you guys have a fingerprint card?
If so where did you get this card?

Did you just go to a police station for them? I am here in Sydney does anyone know where to have them done? Thanks heaps!

#20 ·
Hey Australi sorry for the late response.

I'm not sure about how it's done in AUS but here in Virginia I had to go to the State police station and they took my fingerprints on fingerprint cards and I mailed them off with some other ID docs to the FBI. I'm sure it would be something similar to that over in Sydney at a police station or something.

Best of luck to you and I'll keep you posted should I found out something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.