Buying a B&B

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Business and investment

Business and investment Please use this section to talk about all your business needs in Australia. Do you want to start a new enterprise in Australia? Are you looking at making investments into the Australian business sector? Do you have queries about as and accounting procedures and regulation? Feel free to discuss this and more with other members of Australia Forum.

Buying a B&B

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

Buying a B&B

We have always wanted to "live" in Australia, and hope this dream is coming a little closer.
By buying a B&B / small hotel , will I be able to obtain a business visa :
I am 46 Y old - my wife is 45
Have the cash to take over a business (or lease) to aprox 500,000
We are belgian nationals
I have extensive work experience in the hotel industry - for +20 years

Any comments , advise will be greatly appreciated.


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
There are visas for establishing a business or taking over an existing business.
You ought to start by having a good read here, including all links and references - Visa Options - Business - Visas & Immigration

I haven't checked at all to see what basic eligibility requirements are but that would be my first step - the eligibility section, and it's a two step approach from provisional to permanent.

If you do find you can meet requirements, there's also the practical considerations of getting something for around $500,000, perhaps some country areas with depressed pricing but then that could also be because of limited clientele/income.

One thing that usually goes by the wayside with a depressed economy is the spending on luxuries which may include the weekends away in a B&B or a country hotel and so something that needs to be taken into account re what immi will look at to move from provisional to PR.

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-01-2009 at 06:24 AM.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Please update your flag here .

Thank You Wanderer ...
Another question I do have in regards to the Police Certificates:
Due to my job, we have lived in just over 10 countries for the past 20 years ... does that mean I will need to get from each country where we lived (over 1 year) a police certificate, or is this at the discretion of the Emigration Officer ?
Any of you have experience on this matter ?
many thanks

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
With things like supportive documentation it's a case of either you provide it correct or get a reject [lose application fee too] - I think the requirement is countries that you have lived in for more than 12 months in last ten years isn't it?, and there's a link I remember that gives addresses for different countries.

Last edited by Wanderer; 04-01-2009 at 06:23 AM.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 692
Please update your flag here .

30 likes received
Police clearance checks are a common requirement for many countries, not just Australia. Embassies should be used to dealing with these requests, so even though it will take a little while to, it shouldn't be a major hassle in the larger scheme of things.

Since you already have hotel experience, I don't think you will find too many differences with how things work in Australia. Realestate prices are high though. There might also be foreign investment implications, as I believe foreigners buying property in Australia need government approval.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2009, 06:22 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
On Foreign Investment there is FIRB: Foreign Investment Review Board - Home and not sure on how that works with someone having a temporary visa on probation but have a look at requirements and it may not apply at all for you would not be the first person who has come in on a business visa, purchasing a business/property as part of the plan.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 90
Please update your flag here .

1 likes received
Itís nice. Good luck for your business and congratulation that your dreams come true.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 AM
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 25
Please update your flag here .

According to me you can be able to obtain a business visa.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 14
Please update your flag here .

You can easily get the business visa you must have combined annual turnover of at least AUD300,000. you have experience just follow the Australia rule you can get the visa.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

You might find it difficult to find a viable hotel wih enough accommodation in your price range (rather than a pub which is more about the alcahol sales), but you should be able to find a good B&B in that range depending on location.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a 7 Eleven tabbi Business and investment 10 06-17-2011 09:40 AM
Buying property knds60 Housing 4 05-19-2011 10:40 AM
buying in Australia CarolfaeScotland Business and investment 7 02-28-2011 04:15 PM
Buying a business amanita Business and investment 1 04-30-2009 02:25 PM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.