Working and Living Expenses

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Cost Of Living

Cost Of Living Please use this section of the site to discuss anything to do with the cost of living in Australia. Feel free to post cost of living queries. If you have any current information on actual figures to do with the cost of rent, food, water, electricity, gas etc then it would be really helpful to our members if you could share the information here.

Working and Living Expenses


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 103
Users Flag! From kenya

3 likes received
5 likes given
Working and Living Expenses

Hi all,

I feel like some of the questions may be long shots but here goes. I'll be in Australia by July and was wondering if anyone can help me with any or all the questions below. 😄

1. If i get an international driver's license can I drive immediately with it or what do I do to "convert" it to an Aussie one?

2. I'm a teacher, 11 years experience age 11 to 18. With my 4 years teacher degree can I register to work as a teacher in Aussie? Heading to Adelaide.

3. In the rural areas of Adelaide, the river land to be precise, what's the average costs or renting a unit with a yard?

4. When does school typically start for kids. I have a 2 yo girl turning 3 this July. Are there school fees to be paid in Oz?

5. Long shot query alert!! Are there any naturals/Africans on here that can advise on all things braiding and hair products suitable for afros and mixed kids?

Any or all if you have any ideas. Thanks!!

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2019, 04:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 4,523
Users Flag! From usa

1460 likes received
434 likes given
It depends on your visa and where you're moving to. Hope you find the answers you need though and good luck. Have a good trip!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2019, 04:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 4,219
Users Flag! From australia

852 likes received
263 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjeri View Post
1. If i get an international driver's license can I drive immediately with it or what do I do to "convert" it to an Aussie one?
If your driver licence is not in English, then you will need an International Driving Permit as well as your Licence..

An IDP is NOT a licence in itself, but effectively just a translation of your licence.
Quote:
Most Australian states have this rule
If your overseas licence is not in English, you must also carry either:
* An International Driving Permit, or
* An English translation of your licence by a person accredited to translate.

People from most countries will need to pass knowledge and driving tests, in the Australian state that they are moving to, before they are able to get an Australian Driver Licence. However, there are some countries that are considered to have equivalent driving tests to Australia, and these licence holders may be able to just swap their licence for an equivalent Australian one, with no extra testing.

Most new Permanent Resident migrants are allowed around 3 months driving on their old countries licence, (to allow time for tests etc) before needing to have obtained an Australian licence.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 103
Users Flag! From kenya

3 likes received
5 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by JandE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjeri View Post
1. If i get an international driver's license can I drive immediately with it or what do I do to "convert" it to an Aussie one?
If your driver licence is not in English, then you will need an International Driving Permit as well as your Licence..

An IDP is NOT a licence in itself, but effectively just a translation of your licence.
Quote:
Most Australian states have this rule
If your overseas licence is not in English, you must also carry either:
* An International Driving Permit, or
* An English translation of your licence by a person accredited to translate.

People from most countries will need to pass knowledge and driving tests, in the Australian state that they are moving to, before they are able to get an Australian Driver Licence. However, there are some countries that are considered to have equivalent driving tests to Australia, and these licence holders may be able to just swap their licence for an equivalent Australian one, with no extra testing.

Most new Permanent Resident migrants are allowed around 3 months driving on their old countries licence, (to allow time for tests etc) before needing to have obtained an Australian licence.
Thank you! This is very useful. I come from East Africa where English is one of the languages spoken and as such my license is in English.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 103
Users Flag! From kenya

3 likes received
5 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybluebrewer View Post
It depends on your visa and where you're moving to. Hope you find the answers you need though and good luck. Have a good trip!
Partner Visa 309/100. Moving to SA. Thank you!!

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Living expenses in Sydney smphantom Cost Of Living 2 06-05-2018 04:43 AM
Do I need to show source of income just for living expenses?I got fee waiver already bilalali Visas and immigration 2 01-31-2016 05:27 AM
Expenses On Arrival Appi Cost Of Living 0 01-23-2015 07:39 AM
Other expenses for 309/100 visa rainman8 Visas and immigration 5 01-14-2015 11:08 AM
Evidence of shared finances and expenses when applying for the partner visa 820 sina1308 Visas and immigration 4 12-29-2014 03:02 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com