Can I get into lecturing with a Mastes in a Oz Uni??

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Education

Education Use this area of the site to discuss anything to do with education in Australia. With topics ranging from higher eduction, Universities, Schools all the way to teaching in Australia - have a look inside and feel free to participate.

Can I get into lecturing with a Mastes in a Oz Uni??

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7
Please update your flag here .

Can I get into lecturing with a Mastes in a Oz Uni??

As the title said says can I get into a lecturing job with a Masters degree in an Australian University.

My MSc degree is in Construction Project Management and my undergrad in is Quantity Surveying which I obtained from Napier Uni Edinburgh

My ambition is to become a lecturer and has always have been

I have one years industrial expierience

I am Irish

Where would be the best place to get advice??


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
For immigration as a teacher at either primary or secondary levels of education you need teaching qualifications approved by the federal body Teaching Australia I think it could be [check that SOL].

Though you plan on entering initially on your WHV you would still need to get registered with State Education organisations even for those levels and they'll require similar qualifications to the federal organisation and even perhaps for you to still have the federal body approval.

Universities are operated more independently and recruit their own lecturers but I'd expect that they may still require some studies in teaching and a bit more experience to get into lecturing, employment not being too likely I suspect if you're on a WHV.

To get some more info, I'd go to some of the University web sites and they'll likely have a section for employment and you could start making some enquiries - you'll find plenty of Universities by googling for them by state or Capital cities - perhaps even a complete list site if you just google Australian Universities.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if you are able to make much headway.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 137
Users Flag! From uk

11 likes received
8 likes given
No you cant. The minimum requirement for any Lecturing position is a PhD. Associate LEcturers are able to be employed with a Masters but they are the ones who assist in practicals or tutorial - and are considered the same as a teachers aide would in school (not a lecturer, a lecturer wannabe).

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.