For the women eyes only

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > General topics > General chit-chat and news

General chit-chat and news This is the general chat and social section of the forum. Feel free to use this area to talk about topics that don't fit elsewhere on the site. We may also use this section to make news announcements for the site.

Like Tree6Likes

For the women eyes only


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
Talking For the women eyes only

Now im settling into Australia just fine so today after weeks of suffering i decided to pay the Dr. a visit now without going into too much detail she ordered me to have an ultrasound before deciding on a hysterectomy, so i called the list of private clinics i was given to make an appointment whilst waiting for the blood samples to be taken, below is the conversation.

Me; Good morning i,d like some info on two points please 1 i need an ultrasound as recommended by the Dr. so when is the next available appointment and 2 what will i be charged i have no medi card so i have to pay the full price.

Telephone operator; Firstly what do you need the ultra sound for?
Me; I have excessive bleeding of 8 weeks and my period wont stop so ive being advised by the Dr, that i need an ultrasound.
T/O; OK madame but first we need to establish were your bleeding, so were are you bleeding from?
Me: What, sorry your asking me were im bleeding from i just told you im having a period and it wont stop and the Dr has ordered an ultrasound to find out the cause of it.
T/O Oh ok hold the line please ( 5 mins later) hello Madame i still need to know where your bleeding from before i can order an ultrasound
Me; sorry your asking me were im bleeding from and im on a period?
T/O yes thats right
Me: thank you very much for your time but any clinic that doesn't know where a women bleeds from is not getting my business.

Now my question is this i know the language here is a little different but did i explain myself correctly or did i use the wrong description? Some how i think i just got a very stupid person. Gave me a laugh all day.

cjka and jmcd16 like this.
__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greatest country of them all
Posts: 833
Users Flag! From australia

118 likes received
3 likes given
Haha. OMG I'm glad I'm gay. .... That's all. .....

This is not an immigration advice

louiseb likes this.
__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

We are told to remember the idea, not the man. Because a man can fail. He can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:02 PM
jmcd16's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 487
Users Flag! From usa

240 likes received
13 likes given
I am with you... Any medical professional who doesn't know where a woman's period blood comes from is not touching me. I'm pretty sure you fail high school health class for that... How do you get through med school/nursing school?

__________________


I am not a migration agent, just a fellow victim of the system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 PM
jmcd16's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 487
Users Flag! From usa

240 likes received
13 likes given
Wait a sec... why on earth don't you have a medi card?!

1) Youre from UK, right? Isn't there a reciprocal agreement?
2) You have at least your TR -- you should definitely be eligible for your card now.

__________________


I am not a migration agent, just a fellow victim of the system.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 163
Users Flag! From uk

46 likes received
36 likes given
That's a bit scary after all the predominant language in Aus is English right? And most people who speak it would know what a period is - especially when linked to a request for a scan!! omg ( & yes I also wondered... born in the UK & no Medicare card?)


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM
jmcd16's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 487
Users Flag! From usa

240 likes received
13 likes given
Yeah, apparently you can even get it while WAITING to be granted a TR partner visa -- one of the other users on the forum did.

__________________


I am not a migration agent, just a fellow victim of the system.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Nelly87's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 831
Users Flag! From netherlands

390 likes received
189 likes given
This is going to be a bit graphic aka Too Much Information so please if you're not into that don't read this I'm just all out there... always am, LOL. Some people can handle it, some can't.

Yeah I know all about that one. I'm not saying it's Australia, it was just a coincidence I suppose - my Australian partner was also my first sexual partner. First times and all that, bit of pain, pain didn't stop, figured I'd go see a doctor. Well, the guy was nearly GIGGLING at the word "vagina". I swear to God I was like - where the hell am I?! So he says it's HERPES, we FREAK out - my partner is like: well I don't have it, where did you get it then?! And I was like - no I've never done this before, what the hell is going on! So NINE hours later, late at night, the doctor calls our homephone and says: "I've been thinking about it..." (okay, you're still thinking about the appearance of my private parts...) "... and it's not herpes after all. Just wasn't quite sure."

WOW.

I've had something similar in the Netherlands, though, where a GP just kinda stood there with question-marks floating above his head as I discussed the health of my private area.

I don't know why but unless they're gynecologists themselves, most medical professionals seem not so educated on the female reproduction organs.

/TMI.

Sorry about that, LOL. Louise started it!!

__________________
From: The Netherlands
Visa Sub: 820 Partner Temp Onshore (De Facto)
Applied: 23 January 2013 (front loaded)
Application: Paper
Agent: No

Case Officer Assigned: 23 December 2013
Request for More Information: 19 May 2014
Requested Information: Australian Federal Police Check
Supplied on: 26 May 2014
Visa Granted: 4 June 2014


Permanent Stage Application: 22 January 2015
PERMANENT PARTNER (801) GRANTED ON 18 MAY 2015 - WE DID IT!

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 685
Users Flag! From australia

56 likes received
1 likes given
This is a good one...

Was the telephone operator a man or a woman?

BTW Louise - I am no woman but a lot of women that I know had similar problem in Australia including my wife. There is something about changing the environment, food and everything else. Some women experienced excessive periods whereas some other ones started having them completely irregularly.

Quote:
I have excessive bleeding of 8 weeks and my period wont stop
The only thing I can think of is that if you had said "I have excessive period bleeding and my dr advised me to go for an ultrasound" maybe they would have understood. Although, it is absolutely unacceptable for a medical receptionist not to be able to help you.


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 AM
jmcd16's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 487
Users Flag! From usa

240 likes received
13 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly87 View Post
This is going to be a bit graphic aka Too Much Information so please if you're not into that don't read this I'm just all out there... always am, LOL. Some people can handle it, some can't.

Yeah I know all about that one. I'm not saying it's Australia, it was just a coincidence I suppose - my Australian partner was also my first sexual partner. First times and all that, bit of pain, pain didn't stop, figured I'd go see a doctor. Well, the guy was nearly GIGGLING at the word "vagina". I swear to God I was like - where the hell am I?! So he says it's HERPES, we FREAK out - my partner is like: well I don't have it, where did you get it then?! And I was like - no I've never done this before, what the hell is going on! So NINE hours later, late at night, the doctor calls our homephone and says: "I've been thinking about it..." (okay, you're still thinking about the appearance of my private parts...) "... and it's not herpes after all. Just wasn't quite sure."

WOW.

I've had something similar in the Netherlands, though, where a GP just kinda stood there with question-marks floating above his head as I discussed the health of my private area.

I don't know why but unless they're gynecologists themselves, most medical professionals seem not so educated on the female reproduction organs.

/TMI.

Sorry about that, LOL. Louise started it!!
Ahahahahaha.
I agree with you though... There is a ridiculous level of misinformation, disinterest, and downright shame when it comes to women's bodies.
Do you know, I have never once in my life been warned by a health care professional of any sort - even my pharmacist - not to trust a birth control pill/patch/ring when I am on antibiotics?
How screwed up is that? I am a personal testament to the fact that antibiotics and birth control don't mix... It's where I bloody came from.

And another one, if you have sex within 24 hours of a Pap smear, it can result in a false positive for cervical cancer. Have you ever been advised not to have sex before a Gyno checkup? I had a friend who went through 3 months of thinking she had cancer only to find out it was a false positive - she'd had sex the morning before her exam because no one ever told her not to. Nor did it ever occur to any of the doctors or nurses to ask her about it when the result came up positive.

And how is that we we can cure erectile dysfunction Immediately with a pill, but it still takes a week to cure a yeast infection?!

Nelly87 likes this.
__________________


I am not a migration agent, just a fellow victim of the system.

Last edited by jmcd16; 05-11-2013 at 01:12 AM.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Nelly87's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 831
Users Flag! From netherlands

390 likes received
189 likes given
Actually Louise, I had long term bleeding as well and it was caused by my birth control. I don't know if you use any but if you do - you may want to think about switching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcd16 View Post
Ahahahahaha.
I agree with you though... There is a ridiculous level of misinformation, disinterest, and downright shame when it comes to women's bodies.
Do you know, I have never once in my life been warned by a health care professional of any sort - even my pharmacist - not to trust a birth control pill/patch/ring when I am on antibiotics?
How screwed up is that? I am a personal testament to the fact that antibiotics and birth control don't mix... It's where I bloody came from.

And another one, if you have sex within 24 hours of a Pap smear, it can result in a false positive for cervical cancer. Have you ever been advised not to have sex before a Gyno checkup? I had a friend who went through 3 months of thinking she had cancer only to find out it was a false positive - she'd had sex the morning before her exam because no one ever told her not to. Nor did it ever occur to any of the doctors or nurses to ask her about it when the result came up positive.

And how is that we we can cure erectile dysfunction Immediately with a pill, but it still takes a week to cure a yeast infection?!
THERE IS. People are like: if it's not preparing to push out a baby it must be fine! LOL. I know about the antibiotics because I am an absolute, downright nut-case level freak about birth controlling (yes, it's a verb now). Do not want baby. Not now anyway - or anywhere near now.

There is just so much misinformation about birth control. I swear I was on every pill until my amazing doctor here in Melbourne told me - you know, if the pill has so many side-effects on you, you could try the Implanon implant. That thing saved my life. Just as safe and no side-effects for me. Not a single other doctor ever warned me about pill side effects, let alone about the fact that I don't have to sit back and accept it, that it is normal to try many methods to find the right one. Unless you have a mother or older sister who sat you down for that talk, you might never realize. The first pill made me depressed, the second pill made me bleed for months, the third pill gave me severe migraines (which is a great sign, since I'd never ONCE had a migraine before and these were incredibly severe). And now I'm okay, I think.

I don't know why but many people just seem to think that as long as you can somewhat control conception and/or you're not having one, you don't need medical attention. I feel we have very valid reasons not to want a child of our own (because we want to end up taking in foster kids) but apparently that isn't medically interesting enough?

PS by the way the doctor who was just "staring at my privates with question marks over his head" during an examination told me I had genital warts (AGAIN, HOW DID I GET THIS, I HAVE HAD ONE STD FREE PARTNER) and he was going to burn them off next week. So I come back next week and ask him - are you really sure this is warts because it doesn't make sense. He stands there and stares at the bit of irritation, gets another doctor for a second opinion and they finally conclude they're not really sure if it is, it might just be irritation. You were going to burn it off. WOW.

__________________
From: The Netherlands
Visa Sub: 820 Partner Temp Onshore (De Facto)
Applied: 23 January 2013 (front loaded)
Application: Paper
Agent: No

Case Officer Assigned: 23 December 2013
Request for More Information: 19 May 2014
Requested Information: Australian Federal Police Check
Supplied on: 26 May 2014
Visa Granted: 4 June 2014


Permanent Stage Application: 22 January 2015
PERMANENT PARTNER (801) GRANTED ON 18 MAY 2015 - WE DID IT!

Last edited by Nelly87; 05-11-2013 at 02:46 AM.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:19 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com