How difficult it is to obtain a Tax file number

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > General topics > General chit-chat and news

General chit-chat and news This is the general chat and social section of the forum. Feel free to use this area to talk about topics that don't fit elsewhere on the site. We may also use this section to make news announcements for the site.

Like Tree3Likes

How difficult it is to obtain a Tax file number


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 AM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
How difficult it is to obtain a Tax file number

So i decided to apply for my TRN as i am paying over and above on Tax here which is fine so i applied online and printed off the forms and proceeded to the post office with the documents within the 30 day specific time frame as indicated on the web site.

Now on the form for the TRN it states we must have 3 proof of identity one of which should be a primary document, below is the required documents needed now stay with me on this one lol.

primary documentation.
Australian full birth certificate
Australian citizenship
Australian passport
Foreign passport with evidence of immigration status ✔

secondary documentation
Australian drivers/learning licence
Medicare card
Account statement from bank and or ATM card musnt be more than 1 year old. ✔
Australian firearms license
Tertiary student identification or secondary student identification card

Additional documentation
change of name by deed poll
change of name certificate
change of name through marriage ✔

Now when i proceeded to the post office i was informed that i couldn't apply because i hadn't the right documentation now i gave them the marriage certificate, the bank statement and the ATM card all showing the name of marriage i also gave her my letter showing her the visa had being granted on a pmv plus i gave them the passport. She informed me that i needed 2 proofs in the secondary section, plus i couldn't use my passport and visa approval because my passport was in the name of Bruno and my visa grant was in the name of Bruno wood. I had shown her the identity card from Malta with a photo showing her my full name ect, basically she said i couldn't use it because of the double barrelled surname Bruno wood. The lady had informed me that i needed to obtain either a Medicare card, fire arms or drivers license. Now the Medicare card i cannot apply for until i apply for the second stage partner visa ok no problem but if she wont accept the passport i need to apply for a drivers license or a fire arms or a student card. Why is it so difficult to obtain a TRN when one is paying tax here lol. Has any one else had such problems and is there a way around it.

Louiseb

__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Zamaussie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NSW
Posts: 373
Users Flag! From zambia

72 likes received
108 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to Zamaussie
Its pretty easy !! I got mine via the online service. I just had to fill in an online form which basically asked about my details and also I think it was my visa number (am on PMV 300) which i think they used to check with the immigration over my status. Then few weeks letter i got my tax file number in the mail box at home......
Just do it online its easy ! As long as you are talking about Tax File Number (TFN) ?.

Tax - migrants or visitors - tax file number application | australia.gov.au


All the best.!!


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2013, 04:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 325
Users Flag! From australia

86 likes received
95 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseb View Post
So i decided to apply for my TRN as i am paying over and above on Tax here which is fine so i applied online and printed off the forms and proceeded to the post office with the documents within the 30 day specific time frame as indicated on the web site.

Now on the form for the TRN it states we must have 3 proof of identity one of which should be a primary document, below is the required documents needed now stay with me on this one lol.

primary documentation.
Australian full birth certificate
Australian citizenship
Australian passport
Foreign passport with evidence of immigration status ✔

secondary documentation
Australian drivers/learning licence
Medicare card
Account statement from bank and or ATM card musnt be more than 1 year old. ✔
Australian firearms license
Tertiary student identification or secondary student identification card

Additional documentation
change of name by deed poll
change of name certificate
change of name through marriage ✔

Now when i proceeded to the post office i was informed that i couldn't apply because i hadn't the right documentation now i gave them the marriage certificate, the bank statement and the ATM card all showing the name of marriage i also gave her my letter showing her the visa had being granted on a pmv plus i gave them the passport. She informed me that i needed 2 proofs in the secondary section, plus i couldn't use my passport and visa approval because my passport was in the name of Bruno and my visa grant was in the name of Bruno wood. I had shown her the identity card from Malta with a photo showing her my full name ect, basically she said i couldn't use it because of the double barrelled surname Bruno wood. The lady had informed me that i needed to obtain either a Medicare card, fire arms or drivers license. Now the Medicare card i cannot apply for until i apply for the second stage partner visa ok no problem but if she wont accept the passport i need to apply for a drivers license or a fire arms or a student card. Why is it so difficult to obtain a TRN when one is paying tax here lol. Has any one else had such problems and is there a way around it.

Louiseb
Loiuise,
I think you have applied for an individual TFN, you should apply online for a TFN as a permanent migrant.

Permanent migrants or temporary visitors
You can only complete this application if you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor who is actually in Australia.
You must also be either:
a working holiday-maker
a New Zealander and you are automatically granted a visa on arrival
an overseas student and your visa has been amended to allow you to work
a person with a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely
a person with a business visa.
If this does not apply to you, for example, you are an Australian citizen, you cannot apply for a TFN using this online application. See Individuals (Australian residents for tax purposes).
To apply online, you need a valid passport or relevant travel documents and you must be:
authorised to work in Australia by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) or have a valid overseas student visa
allowed to remain here indefinitely
in Australia when you lodge your application.
When you apply online you do not have to physically provide proof of identity documents. We will compare your personal and travel document details with DIAC's records. When we validate your details, we will give you a receipt number.
If you don't have access to the internet, you can visit an ATO shopfront or public internet facility, such as a public library.
If you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor to Australia and you apply for a TFN online, your TFN will be sent to the Australian address you provided on your application. You will generally receive notification within 10 working days; however, we may take up to 28 days to process your application.

For more information, refer to:
Online tax file number registration system for permanent migrants and individuals visiting Australia - fact sheet
Permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia - online tax file number (TFN) application or enquiry.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 45
Users Flag! From philippines

9 likes received
5 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by iduno View Post

Loiuise,
I think you have applied for an individual TFN, you should apply online for a TFN as a permanent migrant.

Permanent migrants or temporary visitors
You can only complete this application if you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor who is actually in Australia.
You must also be either:
a working holiday-maker
a New Zealander and you are automatically granted a visa on arrival
an overseas student and your visa has been amended to allow you to work
a person with a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely
a person with a business visa.
If this does not apply to you, for example, you are an Australian citizen, you cannot apply for a TFN using this online application. See Individuals (Australian residents for tax purposes).
To apply online, you need a valid passport or relevant travel documents and you must be:
authorised to work in Australia by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) or have a valid overseas student visa
allowed to remain here indefinitely
in Australia when you lodge your application.
When you apply online you do not have to physically provide proof of identity documents. We will compare your personal and travel document details with DIAC's records. When we validate your details, we will give you a receipt number.
If you don't have access to the internet, you can visit an ATO shopfront or public internet facility, such as a public library.
If you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor to Australia and you apply for a TFN online, your TFN will be sent to the Australian address you provided on your application. You will generally receive notification within 10 working days; however, we may take up to 28 days to process your application.

For more information, refer to:
Online tax file number registration system for permanent migrants and individuals visiting Australia - fact sheet
Permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia - online tax file number (TFN) application or enquiry.
I agree..When I arrived here last April on a 309 visa, I immediately applied for my TFN online and got it after 3weeks over the phone because I need for work and got the letter from ATO
the same week. I didn't have to provide any documents to them. Maybe you can try applying for it online just like what iduno have mentioned.

__________________

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:39 AM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
OH now this is good news now i go online and check about this i did apply for an individual TRN maybe i made the mistake. Let me go and check on this and i will be back with an update lol. THANK YOU

Zamaussie likes this.
__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:59 AM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamaussie View Post
Its pretty easy !! I got mine via the online service. I just had to fill in an online form which basically asked about my details and also I think it was my visa number (am on PMV 300) which i think they used to check with the immigration over my status. Then few weeks letter i got my tax file number in the mail box at home......
Just do it online its easy ! As long as you are talking about Tax File Number (TFN) ?.

Tax - migrants or visitors - tax file number application | australia.gov.au


All the best.!!
OH thank you i did the it. I followed your link and completed the registration so simple. I feel a right dork now lol. You should post this link on the THINGS TO DO list on entering australia on the forum. People could use your information and link. I cannot thank you enough for this.

__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


Last edited by louiseb; 07-29-2013 at 03:02 AM.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2013, 03:01 AM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
Quote:
Originally Posted by iduno View Post
Loiuise,
I think you have applied for an individual TFN, you should apply online for a TFN as a permanent migrant.

Permanent migrants or temporary visitors
You can only complete this application if you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor who is actually in Australia.
You must also be either:
a working holiday-maker
a New Zealander and you are automatically granted a visa on arrival
an overseas student and your visa has been amended to allow you to work
a person with a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely
a person with a business visa.
If this does not apply to you, for example, you are an Australian citizen, you cannot apply for a TFN using this online application. See Individuals (Australian residents for tax purposes).
To apply online, you need a valid passport or relevant travel documents and you must be:
authorised to work in Australia by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) or have a valid overseas student visa
allowed to remain here indefinitely
in Australia when you lodge your application.
When you apply online you do not have to physically provide proof of identity documents. We will compare your personal and travel document details with DIAC's records. When we validate your details, we will give you a receipt number.
If you don't have access to the internet, you can visit an ATO shopfront or public internet facility, such as a public library.
If you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor to Australia and you apply for a TFN online, your TFN will be sent to the Australian address you provided on your application. You will generally receive notification within 10 working days; however, we may take up to 28 days to process your application.

For more information, refer to:
Online tax file number registration system for permanent migrants and individuals visiting Australia - fact sheet
Permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia - online tax file number (TFN) application or enquiry.
Thank you for this info this was so helpful you should make this post on the THINGS TO DO list on this forum. This is so helpful to others. THANK YOU

__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 AM
Zamaussie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NSW
Posts: 373
Users Flag! From zambia

72 likes received
108 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to Zamaussie
Quote:
Originally Posted by louiseb View Post
OH thank you i did the it. I followed your link and completed the registration so simple. I feel a right dork now lol. You should post this link on the THINGS TO DO list on entering australia on the forum. People could use your information and link. I cannot thank you enough for this.
No worries !!!
You will get it soon in your mail box..........and the Taxman will be smiling to start doing his job

louiseb likes this.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 325
Users Flag! From australia

86 likes received
95 likes given
Checking the ATO web site is another way to see if your visa has been approved.

__________________

Made by our Australia Immigration Timeline Software. Click here to create yours.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 AM
louiseb's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Australia now, but lived in Malta born in the UK
Posts: 1,036
Users Flag! From australia

270 likes received
287 likes given
Send a message via Skype™ to louiseb
Quote:
Originally Posted by iduno View Post
Checking the ATO web site is another way to see if your visa has been approved.
What visa? do you mean my TRN number? my visa has being approved PMV thats why im already here in Ausie working and paying a fortune in tax lol.

__________________
i wish to see the smiles of loved ones reunited after months of waiting, god bless you all


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
file number eleanor Visas and immigration 22 05-26-2013 02:46 AM
tax file number? jhenry23 Jobs and work 1 09-21-2012 08:10 AM
File Number same as CO for PMV? MandS Visas and immigration 5 09-12-2012 12:06 PM
Applying for tax file number marios Issues and current events 2 08-09-2012 02:44 AM
Tax file number application Mrv Jobs and work 1 10-28-2010 05:53 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 PM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com