Visa Stress - Page 4

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > General topics > General chit-chat and news

General chit-chat and news This is the general chat and social section of the forum. Feel free to use this area to talk about topics that don't fit elsewhere on the site. We may also use this section to make news announcements for the site.

Visa Stress - Page 4


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 22
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
Seeing I started this thread I just wanted to give an update on my situation with my wife from China. I emailed our CO yesterday as was 20 weeks exactly and I took the strategy of not emailing or calling the CO since May because I was aware they don't like being contacted.

Well I think this strategy worked because I sent a short, to the point email asking about our Visa progress and our CO replied by giving us a timeline- "Your wife's application should be finalized in October" which is what I was thinking- about 6 months after we applied. We were thrilled at this response so now we can start planning our future together which is great. We have both lost alot of sleep and been under much stress through this ordeal.

The best advice I can give to couples going through this same stress is to make the most of today. Focus on loving each other right now, in whatever way you can, and do your best. The future is uncertain, so if all you have is skype, msn and phone calls, make the most of them.

I spend every night with my wife and every weekend. We talk and develop our relationship. I decided long ago that I wasn't going to let this visa ordeal affect our relationship, and while it is hard work to overcome all the doubts and fears, it is worth it. My wife is my number one priority in my life, and if I had to give up my life here to be with her, I would do it in a heartbeat. Nothing can separate two people that really love each other.

Hopefully I will be with my wife soon, but in the meantime, we do everything we can to develop a growing and vibrant relationship.


  #32 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Skydancer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Posts: 206
Users Flag! From australia

8 likes received
26 likes given
Hi Frank

Glad to hear your update. I have sent three emails to our CO, and he has not replied. So what to do..... it is our right, I feel, to be updated on our case. We haven't had any info since my husband's interview with him on June 24th. I guess, my husband has to call him as he clearly is not interested in replying (maybe he doesn't even read our emails?).

Due to my husband's long work hours, we can only "skype" once a week, on his free day. Even then, he has to sit in a cybercafe, which is hardly conducive to developing an intimate relationship.

It hurts me when the few friends I've asked advice on this, tell me I should just wait patiently and not have emailed the CO as they are overloaded already. Especially when I have already done it, how unhelpful to tell me, you should have phoned.... it makes me sadder.

It will be 4 months next Monday, and we were intitially told visas take 3 to 4 months but can be quicker if all documents, paperwork, medicals, police clearance, and passport is with them and through VFS Global Service. We did use VFS, except for the few additional outstanding documents. So, why can't we find out when the decision is likely to be made? Not hearing anything makes us more tense and anxious.....


  #33 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Lee View Post
Hi Silentsleeper, is there a way that you can apply for your visa now, while in Sydney, so you don't have to separate? I read somewhere that if you apply for a visa, while on a visa, that they will extend your current one, while you are waiting for a decision on your other one ( wow what a sentence!). I hope I didn't read that wrong, but if that is the case then you may not have to separate at all!

Anyway research as much as possible and see what is the best option for yourself, before going ahead with anything, possibly talk to an agent? Maybe someone in this forum can advise you about the best way to go about it.

The very best of luck to you.
It just depends on what visa a person is on when in Australia for if they are on a tourist visa for instance or another and there is a No Further Stay condition applied, that means no further visa can be applied for unless a waiver is obtained for the NFS and they're not easily obtained.
If there is no NFS then yes people can apply for another visa and for the period between when their existing visa ceases and a decision is made on the new one applied for, a bridging visa will be applied.
Likewise, for people applying from overseas who do not want to be apart they can always consider applying for a tourist visa whilst their partner visa is processed though that will mean a trip back outside Australia to have the visa granted.





Last edited by Wanderer; 09-02-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:04 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
Hi Frank

Glad to hear your update. I have sent three emails to our CO, and he has not replied. So what to do..... it is our right, I feel, to be updated on our case. We haven't had any info since my husband's interview with him on June 24th. I guess, my husband has to call him as he clearly is not interested in replying (maybe he doesn't even read our emails?).

Due to my husband's long work hours, we can only "skype" once a week, on his free day. Even then, he has to sit in a cybercafe, which is hardly conducive to developing an intimate relationship.

It hurts me when the few friends I've asked advice on this, tell me I should just wait patiently and not have emailed the CO as they are overloaded already. Especially when I have already done it, how unhelpful to tell me, you should have phoned.... it makes me sadder.

It will be 4 months next Monday, and we were intitially told visas take 3 to 4 months but can be quicker if all documents, paperwork, medicals, police clearance, and passport is with them and through VFS Global Service. We did use VFS, except for the few additional outstanding documents. So, why can't we find out when the decision is likely to be made? Not hearing anything makes us more tense and anxious.....
The simple answer Skydancer is that there is no set timetable that visa application processing will be guaranteed for, there being too many variables.
I do not know who would have indicated to you 3-4 months and would be very surprised if it was an Immi person or if it was, perhaps they were just having a bad day with too many enquiries.
Is VFS actually AUSTRALIAN VISA - VISA AND IMMIGRATION for they could be just another agency from what it seems and if it was someone there who gave you the 3-4 months, just put it down as misleading.
I've posted many times re what Immi have on their Client Service Charter and how what is there should really only be considered as a guide as information there is based on previous years and things do change from year to year.
A couple of things that have happened recently that may be having a considerable effect are:
1. Last year saw the year's allocation of family visas being reached or close to it reached a couple of months prior to the end of the [ financial ] year and so there was a hold placed on finalising visas which would have created something of a backlog and the outworking of that could likely be that it has been recognised that shortened processing times would cause that to occur and so to better balance the whole year throughput and staffing levels it may have been decided to have adjust processing times accordingly.
There have certainly been a number of posts that indicate times more in keeping with the Client Service Charter/longer times have been advised.
2. It could be that staffing levels in different locations are affected by the increase again in people arriving by boats to seek asylum.

Some people have been fortunate in getting visas quicker but that is more the luck of the draw re location/staffing/workload/timing etc.

You may see it as your right to be updated but that is not incorporated into the visa processing system and continued requests as you have found have done little and whilst you can continue with it, perhaps you could be thankful for being ignored for if every applicant was to be doing the same and all queries got answered, times would just blow out further.

You need to consider that there are many applications all being processed simultaneously, something like a revolving conveyor belt so when one thing is done with one application and something is in process, it is move on to the next application and so forth until again an earlier application is reached for another action.





  #35 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 AM
Skydancer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Posts: 206
Users Flag! From australia

8 likes received
26 likes given
Hi Wanderer

Thanks for your detailed reply. It was the CO at my husband's interview that indicated it would take 3 to 4 months from lodgement date. Also, on the automated emails it states:
Quote:

We suggest you consult our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) at
Visas and migration- Partner migration - Australian High Commission as the answers to
your questions might be there already.
If you have applied for a Partner visa, please note the current average
processing time for complete Partner visa applications is 4 months.
However, your case may be processed quicker if, you send your application
and any other documents through VFS (VFS Global Services | Consular Services | Online Tracking of Passport | Visa Application Services | Diplomatic Missions | PIO | Biometrics | Business Visa Process Outsourcing | Handling Services), and you send us
your passport as soon as you have obtained your police clearance and
undergone your medical examination.


In our case, we did use VFS so we do qualify for the faster processing time mentioned. I don't mind waiting, what I do mind is the fear and anxiety of a possible rejection. It has happened to genuine cases - there are several on this forum, particularly people who had "small weddings".

The only reason I sent three emails, spread over two months, is that I didn't get an answer from the CO. It seems fair enough surely, especially that in his only email, where all he wrote was one sentence, telling us his name, he didn't answer my pertinent question about where in the queue we are, but he states:

Quote:
"Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me."

The other reason I wanted him to get those emails was to reinforce our genuineness. As he has not met me, and my husband was very nervous, almost sick, at the interview, the CO may have formed a negative opinion about us.


Last edited by Skydancer; 09-02-2010 at 02:44 AM.

  #36 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 22
Please update your flag here .

2 likes received
One of the things that worked for me through the most stressful times or when I could not talk to my wife (due to work etc) was to write it down in a diary. Get my feelings out. It feels much better when you do this. Or write a letter to your spouse telling them how you feel, email or send it to them.

Every case is different, that is the one thing I do know in all this, and the other thing is that yes, times overall have been extended this year. We were told by our CO and in writing that ours would be "an average of 20 weeks" then this was changed to "could be up to 6 months".

All of us who chosen an international relationship have to deal with immigration issues, no doubt. Refusing to let it get us down is up to us. When we worry about "will it be rejected, how long will it take" etc this process only drains us emotionally and does not actually change the situation. Every relationship is different too, so find a way to develop your relationship that works for you, and like I said, a diary can help alot. Bottled up feelings always lead to trouble in a relationship, so getting them out helps.


  #37 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2010, 05:41 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
Hi Wanderer

Thanks for your detailed reply. It was the CO at my husband's interview that indicated it would take 3 to 4 months from lodgement date. Also, on the automated emails it states:
Quote:

We suggest you consult our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) at
Visas and migration- Partner migration - Australian High Commission as the answers to
your questions might be there already.
If you have applied for a Partner visa, please note the current average
processing time for complete Partner visa applications is 4 months.
However, your case may be processed quicker if, you send your application
and any other documents through VFS (VFS Global Services | Consular Services | Online Tracking of Passport | Visa Application Services | Diplomatic Missions | PIO | Biometrics | Business Visa Process Outsourcing | Handling Services), and you send us
your passport as soon as you have obtained your police clearance and
undergone your medical examination.


In our case, we did use VFS so we do qualify for the faster processing time mentioned. I don't mind waiting, what I do mind is the fear and anxiety of a possible rejection. It has happened to genuine cases - there are several on this forum, particularly people who had "small weddings".

The only reason I sent three emails, spread over two months, is that I didn't get an answer from the CO. It seems fair enough surely, especially that in his only email, where all he wrote was one sentence, telling us his name, he didn't answer my pertinent question about where in the queue we are, but he states:

Quote:
"Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me."

The other reason I wanted him to get those emails was to reinforce our genuineness. As he has not met me, and my husband was very nervous, almost sick, at the interview, the CO may have formed a negative opinion about us.
Perhaps there may have been new directions in regard to scheduling issued since the interview.
When you look at CURRENT AVERAGE PROCESSING TIMES - Australian High Commission as linked from yours, you'll see reference to High Commission information being supplementary and also a bit there to read on variations.
That the automated reply indicates 4 months could be that it has not been updated and that COs are mentioning that information to save being inconsistent.
If you get it in 4 months, that'll be fine and if it's in five or six that's still a lot better than say 10 months for a HR country which India is designated as.
A shorter time would seem to indicate that Immi has taken a flexible approach in that regard.
Focusing on what has happened to a few partner visa applications from one particular region is probably going to continue your negative thoughts when there are many partner visas being processed every single day and the main thing is that you have a good application.





  #38 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Skydancer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Posts: 206
Users Flag! From australia

8 likes received
26 likes given
Thanks Wanderer.

For your reassuring and logical advice.... :-)

Considering we hadn't collected an enormous amount of evidence on each point asked for (meagre evidence on financial aspects and no joint invitations, memberships) , I'm happy with the final presentation of our file as we sent it, and think our case is reasonably strong from the perspective of how the DIAC would view it.

Of course, I don't know how strong it is compared to other cases they are receiving.

We are being completely honest and open which surely is recognised by the DIAC.

Yesterday, I received an email from the CO advising that the file has been forwarded for final decision.

So, any day now.... :-)


  #39 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2010, 05:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 58
Please update your flag here .

3 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydancer View Post
Thanks Wanderer.

For your reassuring and logical advice.... :-)

Considering we hadn't collected an enormous amount of evidence on each point asked for (meagre evidence on financial aspects and no joint invitations, memberships) , I'm happy with the final presentation of our file as we sent it, and think our case is reasonably strong from the perspective of how the DIAC would view it.

Of course, I don't know how strong it is compared to other cases they are receiving.

We are being completely honest and open which surely is recognised by the DIAC.

Yesterday, I received an email from the CO advising that the file has been forwarded for final decision.

So, any day now.... :-)
really hope you get an answer soon!!! Thinking of you and yours and hope you're are to be reunited at last!


  #40 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 101
Please update your flag here .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSS View Post
One of the things that worked for me through the most stressful times or when I could not talk to my wife (due to work etc) was to write it down in a diary. Get my feelings out. It feels much better when you do this. Or write a letter to your spouse telling them how you feel, email or send it to them.


( thats a great idea FrankSS)

Every case is different, that is the one thing I do know in all this, and the other thing is that yes, times overall have been extended this year. We were told by our CO and in writing that ours would be "an average of 20 weeks" then this was changed to "could be up to 6 months".

All of us who chosen an international relationship have to deal with immigration issues, no doubt. Refusing to let it get us down is up to us. When we worry about "will it be rejected, how long will it take" etc this process only drains us emotionally and does not actually change the situation.

(your right thats good advice)
Every relationship is different too, so find a way to develop your relationship that works for you, and like I said, a diary can help alot. Bottled up feelings always lead to trouble in a relationship, so getting them out helps.
FrankSS my husband and I are still waiting the decission from the our second hearing with the MRT and have found everything very draining but on a positive note we are still hanging in there goodluck everyone


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visa Stress Combsyfoot Visas and immigration 5 05-26-2011 09:47 PM
Visa Stress - Is no news, necessarily bad news??? pandora Visas and immigration 3 09-20-2010 02:09 PM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:51 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com