internet in australia

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > General topics > General chit-chat and news

General chit-chat and news This is the general chat and social section of the forum. Feel free to use this area to talk about topics that don't fit elsewhere on the site. We may also use this section to make news announcements for the site.

Like Tree2Likes

internet in australia


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Please update your flag here .

internet in australia

Can you have us like wireless internet
Facilities for a fixed monthly payment
In the cities of australia,like enough bandwidth
For torrents,streamings,etc?
Is the internet censorship thing a pain
especially for US expats?
Is the bill at all likely to be passed?


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubh80 View Post
Can you have us like wireless internet
Facilities for a fixed monthly payment
In the cities of australia,like enough bandwidth
For torrents,streamings,etc?
Is the internet censorship thing a pain
especially for US expats?
Is the bill at all likely to be passed?
There's a lot of internet options about and best you research to see what might suit you and what charges will be.
There is no censorship at the moment though it has been talked of by the government.





  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Please update your flag here .

One question though, are internet facilities same in all cities in australia?


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubh80 View Post
One question though, are internet facilities same in all cities in australia?
For the capital cities more or less though the larger a city the more options there will be by virtue of the number of different service providers, a bit like I'd suspect you'll find in a lot of countries.
There's the NBN fibre optic cabling bein rolled out nationally but it'll still be up to service providers as to what's provided and cost.





  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-05-2010, 03:30 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6
Please update your flag here .

also here guys!Can you recommend a good internet provider, currently I'm using dial up.


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 685
Users Flag! From australia

56 likes received
1 likes given
Quote:
Can you have us like wireless internet
Facilities for a fixed monthly payment
Most (if not all) internet providers take payments through direct debit or from your credit card. Basically, if you don't provide these details to them, they will not open an account. If your card expires and they cannot get payment, they cut you off almost straight ahead. It happened to me once or twice.

Quote:
Is the internet censorship thing a pain
especially for US expats?
No, there is no problem with that at all.

The only problem I experience with Australian internet are some issues with modems. They just don't work the right way. Sometimes you need to restart your computer a few times before it starts working. It happened to me on 3 different computers, three different operating systems, two different modems and two different internet providers. Locals also spoke of the same recurring problem. They say internet in Australia is a little bit behind.

In most cases, internet is limited. However, I noticed that ISP-s start introducing limitless internet options (for example TPG) in some areas. I suppose this is the part of business that is going to grow in the nearest future.

Quote:
Can you recommend a good internet provider, currently I'm using dial up.
As for internet providers - there are heaps of them. Bigpond belongs to the most popular ones. There is also AAPT, TPG, Optus and many others. I suppose, if you google, you will find quite a large list.


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Please update your flag here .

awesome detailed reply Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
Most (if not all) internet providers take payments through direct debit or from your credit card. Basically, if you don't provide these details to them, they will not open an account. If your card expires and they cannot get payment, they cut you off almost straight ahead. It happened to me once or twice.



No, there is no problem with that at all.

The only problem I experience with Australian internet are some issues with modems. They just don't work the right way. Sometimes you need to restart your computer a few times before it starts working. It happened to me on 3 different computers, three different operating systems, two different modems and two different internet providers. Locals also spoke of the same recurring problem. They say internet in Australia is a little bit behind.

In most cases, internet is limited. However, I noticed that ISP-s start introducing limitless internet options (for example TPG) in some areas. I suppose this is the part of business that is going to grow in the nearest future.



As for internet providers - there are heaps of them. Bigpond belongs to the most popular ones. There is also AAPT, TPG, Optus and many others. I suppose, if you google, you will find quite a large list.


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 43
Please update your flag here .

I muis represented a question

corrected version of first question:

in US I have sort of unlimited bandwidth and a heavy usage of internet isnt a problem for say 50 dollars a month.

However, when I went to India and used like 70% of that internet usage frequency(wireless connection) I was billed 3500 in 21 days based on gigs of bandwidth used.

What I was wondering is, can a net savvy person of moderate income
* be online 16x7 doing video streaming, torrenting, downloading big files and emails with big attachments and still feel fiscally safe at end of the month(with a FIXED monthly payment)???


  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubh80 View Post
corrected version of first question:

in US I have sort of unlimited bandwidth and a heavy usage of internet isnt a problem for say 50 dollars a month.

However, when I went to India and used like 70% of that internet usage frequency(wireless connection) I was billed 3500 in 21 days based on gigs of bandwidth used.

What I was wondering is, can a net savvy person of moderate income
* be online 16x7 doing video streaming, torrenting, downloading big files and emails with big attachments and still feel fiscally safe at end of the month(with a FIXED monthly payment)???
You know what I said earlier!
Quote:
There's a lot of internet options about and best you research to see what might suit you and what charges will be.
If you are a net savvy person it should not be too hard to do some searching!





  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 685
Users Flag! From australia

56 likes received
1 likes given
You can. In Australia, ISP-s will cut your transfer down after you reach your limit but will not charge you additional money. You are therefore facing slower internet but not paying extra money.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
met on internet for 7 years qwan Visas and immigration 0 04-29-2011 12:07 PM
Mobile Internet in Australia Little Mary Moon General chit-chat and news 1 09-14-2010 02:25 AM
Partner visa - met on internet (not going to go well, is it?) becca Visas and immigration 3 02-20-2010 12:14 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com