Locations to settle in Perth - Please advise

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Housing

Housing Buying a house in Australia? Want to rent a place? Use this section to discuss anything about the real estate market in Australia. Talk about the procedures and the current state of Australian property market with members that may have more experience with Real Estate in your region.

Like Tree6Likes

Locations to settle in Perth - Please advise


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 15
Users Flag! From portugal

Locations to settle in Perth - Please advise

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are arriving in Perth in August.

We are a pretty calm couple around 40's planning to have our first child in a year and we would like to know more about recommendations of locations to settle in Perth.

We are looking for something similar to the kind of place where we live right now in Lisbon (Portugal). We live in a pretty nice new neighborhood near the river populated mostly by families and couples with children. It is a calm place but with some movement and life of its own, we don't like the kind of dormitory neighborhood which gets uninhabited during the day when everybody is working. We appreciate green surroundings with commercial facilities within a walking distance and a gym nearby (we are used to just having to cross the street to go to the gym).

Probably we are being very demanding but considering we have learn that Australians enjoy outdoors and sports, I believe there must be quite a few places like this in Perth.

If you know some places like this description please advise.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Luis and Gabi


Last edited by mendesma; 06-25-2012 at 04:42 PM.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Users Flag! From australia

11 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesma View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are arriving in Perth in August.

We are a pretty calm couple around 40's planning to have our first child in a year and we would like to know more about recommendations of locations to settle in Perth.

We are looking for something similar to the kind of place where we live right now in Lisbon (Portugal). We live in a pretty nice new neighborhood near the river populated mostly by families and couples with children. It is a calm place but with some movement and life of its own, we don't like the kind of dormitory neighborhood which gets uninhabited during the day when everybody is working. We appreciate green surroundings with commercial facilities within a walking distance and a gym nearby (we are used to just having to cross the street to go to the gym).

Probably we are being very demanding but considering we have learn that Australians enjoy outdoors and sports, I believe there must be quite a few places like this in Perth.

If you know some places like this description please advise.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Luis and Gabi
Do you have a budget? Ahhh, Perth is very different from Lisbon. Do you plan to work in the city and how long do you want to commute? Perth housing sprawls along the coast so travel time can be very long.


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 15
Users Flag! From portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgirl View Post
Do you have a budget? Ahhh, Perth is very different from Lisbon. Do you plan to work in the city and how long do you want to commute? Perth housing sprawls along the coast so travel time can be very long.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Do you know Lisbon? What would say are the major diferences between Lisbon and Perth?
About the budget we are thinking more or less about $600 per week. As to the time to commute we wouldn't want it to be more than 30 minuntes from home to work, but this will be variable because my husband is a consultant so he will not be working always at the same place.
How about the floods, are they frequent in Perth? What would be the places to avoid because of the floods?


Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Users Flag! From australia

11 likes received
I've been to Lisbon twice, and porto once... All for vacation. I grew up in Perth but dont live there anymore. In fact, happy to be in a bigger, more cosmopolitan city like Melbourne. It's hard to say the differences between Perth and Lisbon because I never lived in Portugal. When you holiday somewhere it's completely different. I think Perth is quite boring to be honest. It just lacks any culture, it just feels like a big country town. It's got amazing weather, that I must admit. I actually feel safer in a city like Melbourne than Perth though. Stay away from Northbridge area. Lots of trouble there. Drunken idiots who are looking for trouble. I haven't heard of floods in the cities of Perth. Perhaps more in the country areas. There are always big fires in the summer though, but that also happens in Melbourne and Sydney. This generally happens in the outskirts of metropolitan Perth. 600 per week is quite a good budget. Check out realestate.com.au for some of the houses to look at. I know I probably haven't answered all your questions as I'm currently about to head out the door, but feel to ask any more questions or PM me.

mendesma likes this.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 199
Users Flag! From portugal

20 likes received
12 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesma

Thank you so much for your reply.
Do you know Lisbon? What would say are the major diferences between Lisbon and Perth?
About the budget we are thinking more or less about $600 per week. As to the time to commute we wouldn't want it to be more than 30 minuntes from home to work, but this will be variable because my husband is a consultant so he will not be working always at the same place.
How about the floods, are they frequent in Perth? What would be the places to avoid because of the floods?
If there is one thing you will find diferent is the houses and the neighborhood. i doubt that you can get a decent property in perth for 600 dollars near the river specially something around like Lisbon ( you in expo?)
Lisbon is quite unique in that área but who know you might get lucky

Wish you all the best

mendesma likes this.
__________________

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 15
Users Flag! From portugal

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgirl View Post
I've been to Lisbon twice, and porto once... All for vacation (...) I actually feel safer in a city like Melbourne than Perth though. Stay away from Northbridge area. Lots of trouble there. Drunken idiots who are looking for trouble (...)
Thanks for the information given it has been very enlightening.
Although I think Portugal is a beautiful country to visit, being so far away from Australia I found it very curious that you came twice to Portugal in vacation, I hope you've enjoyed! Is Portugal a popular vacation destination in Australia?
Concerning the safe matters, why do you say you feel safer in Melbourne rather than Perth? Is what aspects is Perth an unsafe city?


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 15
Users Flag! From portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufa View Post
If there is one thing you will find diferent is the houses and the neighborhood. i doubt that you can get a decent property in perth for 600 dollars near the river specially something around like Lisbon ( you in expo?)
Lisbon is quite unique in that área but who know you might get lucky

Wish you all the best
Hi Rufa,
Thank you for your reply. We do live in Expo right now and we enjoy it very much, so we would like to find a similar neighborhood in Perth to live in, although it doesn't have to be near the river. What places would you suggest in Perth similar to Expo? And what would be the weekly prices for a house or apartment in a place similar to Parque das Nações? I suppose we do need to review and increase the renting budget...


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Users Flag! From australia

11 likes received
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendesma View Post
Thanks for the information given it has been very enlightening.
Although I think Portugal is a beautiful country to visit, being so far away from Australia I found it very curious that you came twice to Portugal in vacation, I hope you've enjoyed! Is Portugal a popular vacation destination in Australia?
Concerning the safe matters, why do you say you feel safer in Melbourne rather than Perth? Is what aspects is Perth an unsafe city?
Well, Australians love to travel,but actually I'm not sure a lot have been to portugal, unless they were young and on a contiki tour. I'm actually living in Europe at the moment waiting for my French husbands visa to come through.

There's not much to do in Perth so I think this is one of the reasons why people cause trouble. Also. WA has the highest number of aboriginal community after NT. There seems to be a perception that some of the youths cause a bit of trouble in northbridge but crime happens in every major city so just be vigilant. There are great things about Perth.

mendesma likes this.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11
Users Flag! From australia

1 likes received
I have never been to Portugal though have travelled many places outside Perth, I have always lived here. For a busier area where it is cosmopolitian and yet has a sense of community, I would suggest Fremantle. It has the port, as well as parks, shops cafes and markets. It ha a good school community and friendly locals. It is a bit "alternative" to Perth suburbs and is known for environmental advocates, and alternative lifestyles- it may be worth looking up Fremantle on google to explain this better as I dont think I am oing a good job. It is about a 20 min drive to the CBD of Perth, but the joke is that he majority of places are about 20 mins drive from each other in Perth....though that is changing with more cars and congestion. I live in a south/ east suburb about half way between Fremantle and Perth, but it is and older suburb not many children or young couples. Hope this helps

mendesma likes this.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 15
Users Flag! From portugal

Thank you so much for all your replies and suggestions, they are very helpful to us. We welcome all your tips and advices that might be useful for a couple of new arrivals to Perth.


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Backpacker locations SE Queensland cwelsh77 Travel questions 0 05-17-2012 06:56 AM
Soon to settle in Australia Depi M New member introductions 9 11-14-2010 11:36 AM
Where to settle? m.sonta Housing 11 07-23-2010 07:24 AM
I'm looking for travelmates Perth -> Broome -> Perth end of June couguar Travel questions 0 06-02-2009 08:42 AM
Settle in Victoria-Help ritu Visas and immigration 3 04-04-2009 11:20 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:50 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com