Population increasing most in Western Australia, latest data shows

by Ray Clancy on December 22, 2011

in Australia

Net overseas migration and natural increase leading to population growth

Western Australia continues to have the fastest growing population in the country, increasing by 2.4%, some 55,800 people, in the year to 30 June 2011, according to the latest figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

This was followed by the Australian Capital Territory which saw its population increase by 1.9%, Queensland by 1.6% and Victoria by 1.5%). New South Wales had an increase of 1.1%, South Australia 0.8%, Tasmania 0.6% and the Northern Territory 0.4%.

Over the same period, Australia’s population increased by 1.4%, some 320,800 people, to 22.6 million people, the statistics also show.

Net overseas migration accounted for 53% of the growth for the year ending June 2011, with the remaining 47% due to natural increase, that is births minus deaths.

Net overseas migration continued to decline to the end of June 2011. The preliminary net overseas migration estimate for the year ending June 2011 of 170,300 people, was 14% lower than that for June 2010 when it was 198,300 people.

Based on preliminary figures, there were 296,800 births registered in the year ending June 2011, 1.9% more than the previous year which was 291,200. The number of deaths registered over the same period was 146,300, 3.4% more than the previous year at 141,500.

Australia’s median age, that is the age at which half the population is older and half is younger, has increased by 4.7 years over the past 20 years, from 32.4 years at 30 June 1991 to 37.1 years in 2011.

All states and territories recorded an increase in median age, with Tasmania recording the highest median age at 40.2 years and the Northern Territory the lowest at 31.5 years.

The figures also show that Australia’s population is ageing. During the same period, the proportion of children aged 0 to 14 years decreased by 3.1 while the proportion of people aged 15 to 64 years increased by 0.6% and the proportion of people aged 65 years and over by 2.4 %.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: