More international students granted visas to study in Australia

by Ray Clancy on September 5, 2012

in Education in Australia

Increase in number of student visas being granted

More international students are moving to Australia to study with the latest figures showing an increase in the number of student visas being granted.

The latest Student Visa Programme Trends report from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship shows that during 2011/12 student visa applications increased by 0.4%.

A DIAC spokesman said that it may appear a minor increase, however, it is the first increase in lodgements since 2008/09 and will be welcome news to universities who have been concerned about a drop in applications from overseas students.

Changes to the student visa programme during 2011/12 and higher offshore lodgements which have increased by 4.4% are credited with enticing more people to apply to study in Australia.

In November 2011, the department reduced the financial requirements for some prospective international students, and in March 2012, streamlined visa processing was introduced for certain prospective students of participating universities.

Streamlined visa processing means that specified applicants will have reduced evidentiary requirements when applying for a student visa. These changes to the student visa programme, along with others, are expected to continue to boost the numbers of genuine international students.

As at 30 June 2012, there were 307,050 student visa holders in Australia and 90.1% of student visa applicants were granted a visa during 2011/12, the report also shows.

Most visas granted were higher education visas, some 113,160 grants, followed by vocational education and training visas at 69 944.

China remains the top source country for international students with 49,592 student visas granted followed by 33,764 for Indian nationals.

To be eligible for a student visa, applicants must be accepted for full time study in a course listed on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Applicants must also meet financial, health insurance, English language proficiency and health and character requirements.

There is no limit on the number of student visas issued each year. If applicants meet requirements, they will be granted a student visa for the entire period of study in Australia.

There are eight types of student visa. The English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) (subclass 570) visa is for international students undertaking a stand alone English language course that leads to a certificate level award or non-formal award.

The Schools (subclass 571) visa is designed for international students applying to study in Australia in a primary, junior secondary or senior secondary school course or an approved secondary school exchange programme.

The Vocational Education and Training (subclass 572) visa is for those applying to study in Australia and whose main course of study is a certificate, vocational education and training diploma, vocational education and training advanced diploma, vocational graduate certificate or vocational graduate diploma.

The Higher Education (subclass 573) visa allows students to study in Australia and whose main course of study is a bachelor degree, associate degree, higher education diploma, higher education advanced diploma, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or Masters by coursework.

The Postgraduate Research (subclass 574) visa is for those studying for a Master’s degree by research or a Doctoral degree in Australia and the Non Award (subclass 575) visa is for students who want to study non award foundation studies or other full time courses not leading to an Australian award.

There is also an AusAID or Defence (subclass 576) visa for international students who are sponsored by AusAID (under the Australia Awards) or Defence to study a full time course of any type in Australia and the Student Guardian (subclass 580) visa is for a parent or close relative to accompany an underage student to Australia.

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Toni Webster September 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm

How could I get a student visa and how much would it cost me.


Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: