Overseas students reminded of need for health insurance in Australia

by Ray Clancy on July 30, 2014

in Education in Australia

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) is reminding all students from overseas that they must have a health insurance policy to study in Australia.

Officials also point out the importance of maintaining this health insurance for the entire time you are on a student visa, not just while you are studying.


Overseas students must have health cover the entire time they are in Australia

The insurance must begin from the date you arrive in Australia and remain in effect until you leave, or move to a different visa subclass.

Almost all student visa holders are required to maintain a specific type of health insurance known as Overseas Student Health Cover.

There are a few exceptions, such as students from Sweden who have insurance provided by CSN International or Kammarkkollegiet, Norwegian students covered by the National Insurance Scheme and Belgian students.

Overseas Student Health Cover provides insurance for some specialist services and medical emergencies, but students may need to pay for certain treatments. ‘You should understand the details of what your policy covers before travelling to Australia,’ said a DIBP spokesman.

‘If you are unsure or cannot understand your policy, you should contact your health insurance provider,’ he added.

The spokesman also pointed out that if your education provider or agent is organising Overseas Student Health Cover on your behalf, you should ask when your cover begins and when it ends.

‘You may be in breach of your visa conditions if you are in Australia without the appropriate cover, even if you were relying on your education provider or your agent to arrange the insurance,’ the spokesman explained.

‘This could result in your visa being cancelled. If you find that your Overseas Student Health Cover is not valid, you should organise for this to be corrected immediately,’ he added.

International students are also required to notify their education provider of their residential address in Australia within seven days of arriving in the country and provide details of any change of address within seven days.

Students must remain on the registered course that is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Students are obliged to maintain satisfactory attendance and course progress for each study period as required by their education provider.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: