Rights & obligations for migrants

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > General topics > Issues and current events

Issues and current events If you wish to discuss news, current events and issues in Australia then this is the correct forum section. Use this section to discuss the current state of the economy or the latest Australian news. Feel free to add anything current that is missing from the section.

Rights & obligations for migrants


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Users Flag! From australia

2 likes received
3 likes given
Rights & obligations for migrants

I am wondering what rights migrants are not entitled to in Australia, apart from social security benefits. I guess university fees are much higher. What else is different for a migrant compared to a citizen?

__________________

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2011, 02:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 88
Users Flag! From zimbabwe

11 likes received
1 likes given
It depends what kind of migrant you are talking about. Permanent vs Temporary, students vs working professional. Sponsored vs Self Nominated, humanitarian etc. There are all sorts of migrants and they can apply for all sorts of visas. They have different working rights, obligations and restrictions. Some more than others.


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Users Flag! From australia

2 likes received
3 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by voebe View Post
It depends what kind of migrant you are talking about. Permanent vs Temporary, students vs working professional. Sponsored vs Self Nominated, humanitarian etc. There are all sorts of migrants and they can apply for all sorts of visas. They have different working rights, obligations and restrictions. Some more than others.
I'm referring to a Temporary Partner visa which will then become permanent. Thanks

__________________

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 33
Users Flag! From armenia

i think the main problem an migrant face is the cultural difference, that's my opinion.


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Users Flag! From australia

2 likes received
3 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather25098 View Post
i think the main problem an migrant face is the cultural difference, that's my opinion.
Of course you're rigt, but my question is about government services, university etc.

__________________

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Users Flag! From australia

2 likes received
3 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorjhon View Post
All human have equal rights. I know it is very difficult any migrant but it depends upon Australia Laws that migrant are permanent or temporary.
In fact, my question is about the Australian laws.

__________________

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greatest country of them all
Posts: 833
Users Flag! From australia

118 likes received
3 likes given
Australia is a fair and equal society. Unlike other countries in Australia if you are a permanent migrant you have exactly the same rights as citizen, pay same taxes and have same benefits (cheaper uni fees etc). Exception voting rights.

__________________
People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

We are told to remember the idea, not the man. Because a man can fail. He can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Users Flag! From australia

2 likes received
3 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boboa View Post
Australia is a fair and equal society. Unlike other countries in Australia if you are a permanent migrant you have exactly the same rights as citizen, pay same taxes and have same benefits (cheaper uni fees etc). Exception voting rights.
Thank you. And in the first 2 years, in the case of a Partner visa which is temporary for the first 2 years? thanks

__________________

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 685
Users Flag! From australia

56 likes received
1 likes given
You are entitled to Medicare and some help from Centerlink. You also have 510 free English language school hours to use. You can study, you can work and your fees are no different than permanent residents or citizens. As a spouse visa holder you are not entitled to HECS or financial help when you are unemployed.

As for obligations... obey law and be part of local society. Be tolerant and promote tolerance. What else can you expect to have among your obligations?


  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Active Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 17
Users Flag! From australia

2 likes received
3 likes given
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
You are entitled to Medicare and some help from Centerlink. You also have 510 free English language school hours to use. You can study, you can work and your fees are no different than permanent residents or citizens. As a spouse visa holder you are not entitled to HECS or financial help when you are unemployed.

As for obligations... obey law and be part of local society. Be tolerant and promote tolerance. What else can you expect to have among your obligations?
Thank you Dexter. That was more or less the information I was after.

__________________

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New points test for skilled migrants 1 July 2011 Salim Daghar Visas and immigration 2 07-03-2011 09:19 AM
Is there an organization which qualifies potential migrants? Gil80 Visas and immigration 4 03-13-2011 02:16 PM
Interesting views about Property from the migrants' opinions joeman Housing 3 01-31-2011 08:03 AM
Hard truth for newly migrants mailme1936 General chit-chat and news 3 10-19-2010 06:13 AM
Baggage limit for migrants trisshhh Visas and immigration 4 10-19-2010 03:55 AM

LEGAL NOTICE
By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:35 AM.




Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com