Australia Tax

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > General topics > Issues and current events

Issues and current events If you wish to discuss news, current events and issues in Australia then this is the correct forum section. Use this section to discuss the current state of the economy or the latest Australian news. Feel free to add anything current that is missing from the section.

Australia Tax

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2018, 02:32 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 5
Users Flag! From india

Australia Tax

Hi, I am a permanent resident of Australia since last year. I have been working and living in Sydney since November 2017. My two kids are also living with me.

My husband, however, is still living and working abroad. He was here for a week to get his PR visa stamped and has hence moved back to his work place abroad. He is only planning to permanently move to Australia by end of 2019.

1) Does my husband need to submit Australia tax returns? None of his earnings are sent to Australia and he is paying his tax at the source country.

2) Do I need to include his income in the family income assessment? We are not supported by my husband's income.

Appreciate a response on this. Many thanks.

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Active Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 38
Users Flag! From vietnam

2 likes received
6 likes given
I believe you only have to pay tax whenever you earn or receive money in Australia.
Please be aware that if you can have access to your husband bank in other country, I believe this would be included.
If you don't receive any income from your husband, then you only need to use your income or any other income like investment.

If you still not sure, why don't you go and see the budget tax account?

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2018, 01:17 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Australlia
Posts: 5,948
Users Flag! From australia

1178 likes received
345 likes given
If you're an Australian resident for tax purposes, you are taxed on your worldwide income, so you must declare any foreign income in your income tax return.

The tax office decide if you are classed as resident for tax.

Having family living in Australia might create that situation.

You would be advised to get a professional opinion on that.

On your own return you are also asked how much income your partner has.

A couple are treated as joint is most cases, even if you choose to keep seperate finances.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-01-2018, 12:22 PM
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 35
Please update your flag here .

4 likes received
1 likes given
Answer no longer needed

Last edited by 6436436; 07-09-2018 at 02:05 PM.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2018, 05:47 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 82
Users Flag! From philippines

11 likes received
22 likes given
Originally Posted by JandE View Post
The tax office decide if you are classed as resident for tax.
With self assessment wouldn't you decide first, and then let the ATO do whatever it will, they will either agree or not.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-05-2018, 06:01 AM
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 35
Please update your flag here .

4 likes received
1 likes given
Answer no longer needed

Last edited by 6436436; 07-09-2018 at 02:05 PM.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-30-2018, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 76
Users Flag! From australia

6 likes received
20 likes given
You only have to fill out your tax if your husband earned over $35,000 or something like that (convert in AUD) I can't remember the exact amount. If he earns below then you have to fill out an online form stating that he has a zero tax return.

You must do this if you have had any centrelink payments of the past tax year period.

I highly recommend going to the tax office in your state. The one in Melbourne is fantastic! They're so helpful and won't judge you on the questions you've asked.

They will also help with setting up your tax online. This is also very beneficial if you're overseas.

You can also call them!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax, immigration and finance advice for new Significant Investors visa in Australia Editor Issues and current events 2 05-23-2015 04:23 PM
Tax Back Australia Tax Back Australia Jobs and work 6 07-17-2013 12:04 PM
Partner visa 820 tax file number, how much tax?? hondalee12 Visas and immigration 2 09-20-2012 05:49 PM
Any tax for used goods ship to Australia Hawthorn Visas and immigration 0 07-30-2012 03:59 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.