Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information

Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information (https://www.australiaforum.com/forum.php)
-   Jobs and work (https://www.australiaforum.com/jobs-work/)
-   -   Finding work on a spouse visa (https://www.australiaforum.com/jobs-work/13206-finding-work-spouse-visa.html)

Wonderer 06-15-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiesteve (Post 486706)
I note that you both indicate difficulty in obtain employment. I don't wish to belittle or insult either of you, but if your applications for employment are written in the same style of English as your posts then the problem rests with you.
I am the first to admit that English is extremely difficult to master, but simple errors such as mixing tenses and genders must reflect badly on you in a resume.
My wife ( who isn't Chinese by the way ) was educated in English for 8 years both secondary and tertiary, however upon arriving here she undertook classes in English as a second language, she benefited greatly from the experience, I would commend them to you.

No offense taken. I believe people must have a say. I would like to emphasize I am not on anyone's side.

It is a simple post in a forum; personally, I do not see the purpose in writing the post in an academic style. Nonetheless, this does not mean I cannot write a very sophisticated and professional CV and / or cover letter.

Yes. As your post mentions, I have had huge difficulties finding real employment. In fact, other recent immigrants I have met have difficulties finding jobs (including at some extent locals). The individuals I refer to have extensive knowledge of their relevant industries, and, in fact, some of them come from English speaking backgrounds, so language should not be an issue, at least for them. As I mentioned, it is the justification / judgment that one does not belong in here (including locals from ethnic background?).

I may disagree that communication skill is the 'main' factor in any one securing a job. I have met key people in different sectors who have either a very thick accent or a mid-level written English skills.

At the moment, I am very busy pursuing my 2nd Postgraduate degree. Once I finish it, I may consider taking those English as a second language.

aussiesteve 06-15-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderer (Post 486746)

No offense taken. I believe people must have a say. I would like to emphasize I am not on anyone's side.

It is a simple post in a forum; personally, I do not see the purpose in writing the post in an academic style. Nonetheless, this does not mean I cannot write a very sophisticated and professional CV and / or cover letter.

Yes. As your post mentions, I have had huge difficulties finding real employment. In fact, other recent immigrants I have met have difficulties finding jobs (including at some extent locals). The individuals I refer to have extensive knowledge of their relevant industries, and, in fact, some of them come from English speaking backgrounds, so language should not be an issue, at least for them. As I mentioned, it is the justification / judgment that one does not belong in here (including locals from ethnic background?).

I may disagree that communication skill is the 'main' factor in any one securing a job. I have met key people in different sectors who have either a very thick accent or a mid-level written English skills.

At the moment, I am very busy pursuing my 2nd Postgraduate degree. Once I finish it, I may consider taking those English as a second language.

That's great Wanderer, I wish you every success in your studies.

consensual 06-15-2014 10:06 AM

You totally bring this to the wrong context. In case you did not understand from my writing about professional and highly skilled wording l put in my post. I think English is a simple and easy to understand language compare to Chinese or even Indian. If you still think we are not confidence and not well English educated as professional who day in day out using mainly English for communication, this is only translated to the "hypocrite" culture here which trying to insult imported skill migrant. For your information, I do not have problem getting a job but the workplace "culture" is really sick here.

aussiesteve 06-15-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consensual (Post 486810)
You totally bring this to the wrong context. In case you did not understand from my writing about professional and highly skilled wording l put in my post. I think English is a simple and easy to understand language compare to Chinese or even Indian. If you still think we are not confidence and not well English educated as professional who day in day out using mainly English for communication, this is only translated to the "hypocrite" culture here which trying to insult imported skill migrant. For your information, I do not have problem getting a job but the workplace "culture" is really sick here.

I am afraid I have no idea what you are trying to say, are you implying I am a hypocrite for suggesting your grammatical errors might be a hindrance to your employment?

Wonderer 06-16-2014 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiesteve (Post 486842)
I am afraid I have no idea what you are trying to say, are you implying I am a hypocrite for suggesting your grammatical errors might be a hindrance to your employment?

Hello All,

Sorry to make a comment here, but I agree with consensual. Regardless of her English abilities, I do understand the main point he / she is trying to make. I can analyse he / she wrote out of emotion while you are trying to provoke him / her further. Her emotions validate the point you may be (1) a redneck / bogan, (2) a local who has never traveled overseas (as I have true blue australian friends who really do not like people as yourself, (3) all of the above.

aussiesteve - I think she implied what your pressumptions were. Mate, if you really do not like immigrants. Do yourself a favor and write to your Congress / Parliament representative. I am sure there are qualified lawyers / solicitiors outhere who may be able to support your cause. You may consider hiring the services of an American one, even! So much, Australia depends on the military forces from the USA.

Do not take me wrong. I love so much this country that I even tried to enrol to the Army but I was not the "race" material.

Let's agree to disagree, ok?

Nelly87 06-16-2014 08:47 AM

Although I have no doubt that racism exists in Australia, I do not feel it should be seen as an equivalent to xenophobic hiring practices.

I appear caucasian (but my grandfather was Indonesian) and am dutch and my resume is at the bottom of the stack as much as everyone else's. They see my foreign name and do not even call or email me. That has nothing to do with the colour of my skin.

I am not saying racism isn't a problem. I'm saying all immigrants are at the back of the employment queue, black, white or purple.

aussiesteve 06-16-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderer (Post 487722)

Hello All,

Sorry to make a comment here, but I agree with consensual. Regardless of her English abilities, I do understand the main point he / she is trying to make. I can analyse he / she wrote out of emotion while you are trying to provoke him / her further. Her emotions validate the point you may be (1) a redneck / bogan, (2) a local who has never traveled overseas (as I have true blue australian friends who really do not like people as yourself, (3) all of the above.

aussiesteve - I think she implied what your pressumptions were. Mate, if you really do not like immigrants. Do yourself a favor and write to your Congress / Parliament representative. I am sure there are qualified lawyers / solicitiors outhere who may be able to support your cause. You may consider hiring the services of an American one, even! So much, Australia depends on the military forces from the USA.

Do not take me wrong. I love so much this country that I even tried to enrol to the Army but I was not the "race" material.

Let's agree to disagree, ok?

If i valued you opinion I would feel insulted but I don't,so I'm not, Ok?

consensual 06-16-2014 10:59 AM

Typical Aussie who is ignorant.

Engaus 06-16-2014 12:44 PM

Typical Aussie? Seriously? Why do people feel the need to generalise an entire nationality!

rhirhi 06-16-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by consensual (Post 488130)
Typical Aussie who is ignorant.

The only ignorant person here is you. If you really think Australia/Australians are as bad as you're trying to make out, please feel free to leave!


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
AustraliaForum.com