electrician? a grade? working holiday visa?

Go Back   Living and Working in Australia Forum With Immigration and Travel Information > Living in Australia > Jobs and work

Jobs and work This section of the site is for recruitment and employment in Australia discussion. Feel free to discuss your career prospects and the job opportunities available to you in Australia. Talk to other members about the employment outlook in your field.

electrician? a grade? working holiday visa?

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Thumbs up electrician? a grade? working holiday visa?

hi there was just wondering if i came over on a working holiday visa if:

1. could i work in this industry if im not licensed?

2. would employers take on on someone temp on a working holiday visa in this industry?

3. how do u become "A grade" licensed?

  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

Hi I am having the same trouble as you! i am going in April and it is so hard to find out. Ive tried email people but they dont seam to reply.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 685
Users Flag! From australia

56 likes received
1 likes given
1. No, you cannot work if you are not licensed
2. Yes, they would but you need to organize yourself a license
3. Check Immigration website, in particular the following link:

Electrician (general) - 341111

On the bottom of the page there will be a list of government bodies in each state that look after electrician licenses.

Sponsored Links
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Please update your flag here .

thanks this was a big help for me

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Wanderer's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,467
Please update your flag here .

139 likes received
For electricians immigrating to Australia, there is a first step to have their qualifications approved with Trades Recognition Australia - Home .

Even if you come in on a WHV, when you go ro seek a licence the very first thing thay may still ask for is an assessment reference.
And then to get a licence in most if not all states, you'll likely find that you need to do an Australasian Wiring Regulations course of about two weeks, they usually being run by TAFE.
And then you'll be required to work under supervision for 12 months before getting a full licence and so it can be hard to get employment on that basis, then there's the six months linmit per employer with the WHV.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Users Flag! From uk


Without the license, you cant work as a licensed electrician. But you can still work in the industry.
Best bet is to cold call all the electrical companmies in the area you will be, im sure someone will be looking out for a over qualified labourer/trade assistant.

Think u need to be a resident or temporary resident to get licensed.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Active Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5
Users Flag! From uk

Simuliar questions - hope you dont mind....

Are there any restrictions or permits required for Civil Engineering working under a Working Holiday Visa?

  #8 (permalink)  
Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3
Users Flag! From albania

You will need to get a license to work as an electrician.If you're only here for a year you might prefer to work as a sparkies offsider - basically an assistant to a licensed electrician working under his direct supervision.

electrician St. Kilda

Last edited by Adelwolf; 09-22-2011 at 08:06 AM.

  #9 (permalink)  
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 50
Users Flag! From australia

2 likes received
In answer to Question 2:

2. would employers take on on someone temp on a working holiday visa in this industry?
This would be an insurance risk for the main contractor, and with the regulations being as tight as they are, I doubt anyone would take you on without the correct license.

  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
Please update your flag here .

im a trade tested electrician from South Africa and looking to immigrate to new zealand or australia.does anyone know a good agent form durban

Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working on a working holiday visa Ghostzapper Jobs and work 11 12-14-2011 09:28 PM
Used my working holiday visa. Jorgo Visas and immigration 3 08-06-2011 03:44 AM
working holiday visa kelzr87 Visas and immigration 2 07-11-2011 09:33 PM
Working Holiday Visa- $$ Margaret Visas and immigration 1 07-12-2010 01:05 AM

By using this Website, you agree to abide by our Terms and Conditions (the "Terms"). This notice does not replace our Terms, which you must read in full as they contain important information. You must not post any defamatory, unlawful or undesirable content, or any content copied from a third party, on the Website. You must not copy material from the Website except in accordance with the Terms. This Website gives users an opportunity to share information only and is not intended to contain any advice which you should rely upon. It does not replace the need to take professional or other advice. We have no liability to you or any other person in respect of any content on this Website.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.