Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was hoping I could get some clarification over the 309/100 process in regards to overseas working - please bear with me while I explain the situation 馃檪

Been in Singapore the last 3 years, married my Persian Wife June 2017 (and we are now expecting a baby in April yay!). We applied for the 309 visa in September and was granted in 4 months, and April 2018 we had a weekend in Perth to activate the visa.

We know that in another year we will be assessed for the 100 Visa, no problems there - however we are not looking to return to Oz yet, still thinking 3-5 years here (maximise money and minimise daycare costs!) before heading back.

From what I understand the 100 class gives you 5 years of travel ability, if after the 5 years you don鈥檛 get citizenship you can apply for a visitor reentry for another 5 years (or get your citizenship). You would only get a 5 year one though if you have spent at least 2 years living in Oz, otherwise it would only be 1 year reentry..first of all is this correct? So technically after being granted the 100 visa we must move within 3 years to ensure when we apply for the reentry we get the 5 year one. Yes she will get citizenship as soon as we can within the limits of when we move back - as that鈥檚 4 years of living if I understand basically it would be: get granted 100 visa in 2019, but keep working and living in singapore for 3 years (2022), return to oz, in 2024 apply for the 5 year extension, then in 2026 she can get citizenship....correct?

My wife still travels to her home every 6 months - an important fact. We need to make sure she can still head home throughout our timeline.

Sorry for the long post, but I also thought it might help others in future searches to have all the information too 馃檪

Premium Member
Hi all, I was hoping I could get some clarification over the 309/100 process in regards to overseas working - please bear with me while I explain the situation 🙂

Been in Singapore the last 3 years, married my Persian Wife June 2017 (and we are now expecting a baby in April yay!). We applied for the 309 visa in September and was granted in 4 months, and April 2018 we had a weekend in Perth to activate the visa.

We know that in another year we will be assessed for the 100 Visa, no problems there - however we are not looking to return to Oz yet, still thinking 3-5 years here (maximise money and minimise daycare costs!) before heading back.

From what I understand the 100 class gives you 5 years of travel ability, if after the 5 years you don't get citizenship you can apply for a visitor reentry for another 5 years (or get your citizenship). You would only get a 5 year one though if you have spent at least 2 years living in Oz, otherwise it would only be 1 year reentry..first of all is this correct? So technically after being granted the 100 visa we must move within 3 years to ensure when we apply for the reentry we get the 5 year one. Yes she will get citizenship as soon as we can within the limits of when we move back - as that's 4 years of living if I understand basically it would be: get granted 100 visa in 2019, but keep working and living in singapore for 3 years (2022), return to oz, in 2024 apply for the 5 year extension, then in 2026 she can get citizenship....correct?

My wife still travels to her home every 6 months - an important fact. We need to make sure she can still head home throughout our timeline.

Sorry for the long post, but I also thought it might help others in future searches to have all the information too 🙂
If you have no intention of moving to Australia in the near future I would not take it for granted that permanent residence will be granted in the first place.

I think you should read up on Resident Return visas. Unless your wife can meet the residence requirements, it won't be that easy to obtain a Resident Return visa.

I'm not sure about your other scenarios. I don't like speculating about things like that. Who knows what the rules will be next year or in 5 year's time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - yes we are 100% definitely returning, but we are unsure as will it be 2 years or 5 years that鈥檚 all...right now with low tax and ok money and cheap live in maids it would make more financial sense to stay in Singapore and maximise our money before moving to/back to Oz and paying hefty child care. From what I understand with the extension of the visa that as long as you have 2 or your 5 years living in Australia then you should be getting a 5 year extension not the 12 month. As I said, she sill wants to go back but only a few weeks every 6 months, so we want to be (as close as possible) sure this will happen.

Premium Member
Getting the 100 visa means demonstrating your intention to live in Australia, so as Nick has pointed out you shouldn't take it for granted that you will be successful in getting that approved.

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply - yes we are 100% definitely returning, but we are unsure as will it be 2 years or 5 years that's all...right now with low tax and ok money and cheap live in maids it would make more financial sense to stay in Singapore and maximise our money before moving to/back to Oz and paying hefty child care. From what I understand with the extension of the visa that as long as you have 2 or your 5 years living in Australia then you should be getting a 5 year extension not the 12 month. As I said, she sill wants to go back but only a few weeks every 6 months, so we want to be (as close as possible) sure this will happen.
Having your cake and eat it at the same time is never easy...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.