Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was granted a 12Months Multiple Entry Visa. After 7 months of total waiting time(Had an issue with the medical and have to be cleared for Tuberculosis)

Date of grant: Feb 21, 2019
Must not Arrive After: Feb 21, 2020

I originally applied for a 12 month one entry visa but this was what the Immi granted me. But I guess it's better than being denied.

I know I can't work. Can't study for more than 3 months.

My boyfriend and I are planning on applying for a partner visa after but we're afraid this forced leaving the country after 3 months might affect our application since I heard that a requirement is a 12month living together.

Anybody here experienced the same thing? Or have any advice.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
If you were granted a visitor visa with 3 months at a time validity and you lodge a valid onshore partner application, you would automatically be granted a bridging visa with work rights and Medicare eligibility that would become active after your 3-month stay expires.

12 months living together is not a visa criterion, but being in a genuine relationship is.

From what you have posted, I suggest that you would be well advised to consult a registered migration agent for advice about strategy.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I sure hope your "must not arrive after" date is a typo.

with the concern re "living together" - there's always a good reason you can give to explain why there are gaps - just like if your partner has to go to the US for work,or if you need to be somewhere else for some valid reason. It's not always possible to be together 24/7.

I have a friend who explained many years ago that they were not living together (or have not lived together) because of work commitments that prevented them from being together more often at that time.

Surely a few days away every 3 months wouldn't matter. Besides, these are visa requirements.

And Westly has explained the matter to you very well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you were granted a visitor visa with 3 months at a time validity and you lodge a valid onshore partner application, you would automatically be granted a bridging visa with work rights and Medicare eligibility that would become active after your 3-month stay expires.

12 months living together is not a visa criterion, but being in a genuine relationship is.

From what you have posted, I suggest that you would be well advised to consult a registered migration agent for advice about strategy.
Thank you so much. I just have to clarify: I don't have to wait till my Tourist visa validity ends till I can Lodge a partner visa? Cause it's a 12 months total visa.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I was granted a 12Months Multiple Entry Visa. After 7 months of total waiting time(Had an issue with the medical and have to be cleared for Tuberculosis)

Date of grant: Feb 21, 2019
Must not Arrive After: Feb 21, 2020

I originally applied for a 12 month one entry visa but this was what the Immi granted me. But I guess it's better than being denied.

I know I can't work. Can't study for more than 3 months.

My boyfriend and I are planning on applying for a partner visa after but we're afraid this forced leaving the country after 3 months might affect our application since I heard that a requirement is a 12month living together.

Anybody here experienced the same thing? Or have any advice.
There's no requirement to live together for 12 months, the requirement is that you're in a de facto relationship for 12 months prior to your application. The issue thought is that living together is considered for most people to be a pretty strong part of being in a de facto relationship.

If you will live in a state that allows registration of your relationship, that waives the 12-month part, but you'd still need to assemble a solid amount of evidence of a shorter relationship.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.