Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Please does anyone know, I do not meet the 2/5 year RRV requirements and when I previously renewed it was granted in 4 days and I had no idea there was such a long delay now.
I am onshore and have strong ties but have booked a cruise over Christmas from Sydney to pacific islands for 10 days and only just put my application in a week ago as was expecting similar processing times.

Can I apply for a bridging visa just so I can go on the cruise and I won’t leave again until my 155 is approved?
I know there is no way my 155 will be approved on time so I’m desperate as my whole family will be going away and I will be spending Christmas alone.

Pls help if you know.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Asking once is generally enough ;-)

Yes you can. You need to manually apply for a BVA and when that is granted, apply for a BVB to travel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you and sorry for same question I just wanted to be totally clear, really appreciate your advice. Do you know if going on holiday is enough of a reason to apply for a bridging visa and also will I get it before 18 Dec if I apply today?
Thanking you in advance, kind regards Caron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got visa 155 in 5 days

There is hope, I applied on Monday for a 155 RRV and got the visa granted on Friday afternoon and I don't meet the 2/5 year requirement but have strong ties. Was quoted at least 67 days so was very lucky. Was also told by home affairs that as the cruise is round trip from Sydney on Royal Caribbean that I wouldn't have needed a visa anyway. Not all cruise lines register with home affairs as round trip so make sure before you go if on a cruise and your RRV expired. Home affairs also told me that if the ship wasn't round trip that I couldn't get a bridging visa as I already have a RRV even though it's expired I could not apply for bridging.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! Congratulations on the RRV. Just wondering, the correspondence you have with Home Affairs, was it via email or phone. Just wondering, as I have waited for 5 months+ and wouldnbe grateful for insights to communicate with them. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent a follow up email basically begging for a urgent response and put urgent in the subject box, got the visa 3 hours after. Also makes a huge diff if you work and live here and parents citizens. So many factors.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
There is hope, I applied on Monday for a 155 RRV and got the visa granted on Friday afternoon and I don't meet the 2/5 year requirement but have strong ties.
Thanks for the update, good result.

Home affairs also told me that if the ship wasn't round trip that I couldn't get a bridging visa as I already have a RRV even though it's expired I could not apply for bridging.
This is wrong information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good afternoon guys.

I came across this thread in search fo more infos about RRVs.
Please help.
My question is, is there a new change about RRVs recently? (Nov 2018)
From what is in the website, RRV can have a validity of 1yr or 5yrs, BUT (the reason of my stress) one of my mom’s friend told her they are not giving 5yr RRVs anymore.
Our travel facility will expire next year and if the changes for the RRV validity is true, we might just proceed to applying for citizenship since just one year is too short.

I know some of you might think I am stupid for not just applying for citizenship straight away and just opting for an RRV again but at the moment, I am unable to commit to the application of it.

I’m still on the look out for new infos but if you know something please help. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Answered your identical post. More than one is not necessary...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as I know the RRV for 5 years are still being issued if you have lived in Australia for 2 our of the last 5 years. Not sure if they have changed, give home affairs a call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I am new to this forum and the first time I put the info in I thought I was on one persons thread not a general thread so didn’t think it would be read by anyone other than that person who’s thread it is.

Before my visa was issued I called home affairs and they said I couldn’t apply for a bridging visa but he really didn’t seem to know, I would have gone with your advice as your know for sure so Thanks for all your advice, it’s much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As far as I know the RRV for 5 years are still being issued if you have lived in Australia for 2 our of the last 5 years. Not sure if they have changed, give home affairs a call.
I am planning to give them a call but since its a Sunday, I have to wait until tomorrow. Its just stressing me out so I wondered around to see if anyone caught this "new info" Thank you very much!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was also so stressed it drove me crazy, but Paul said I could get a bridging visa so I was relieved after his advice even though home affairs said I couldn’t get one, but home affairs chap I spoke to seemed unsure.

Have you been living in Australia for 2 out of 5 years ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was also so stressed it drove me crazy, but Paul said I could get a bridging visa so I was relieved after his advice even though home affairs said I couldn't get one, but home affairs chap I spoke to seemed unsure.

Have you been living in Australia for 2 out of 5 years ?
Paul gave me some peace of mind too. I hope everything will work out for you.

Yes, I've been here since 2012 with occasional holidays abroad but I'm sure it wont total 90days since holidays are expensive and work would not allow me.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Paul gave me some peace of mind too. I hope everything will work out for you.

Yes, I've been here since 2012 with occasional holidays abroad but I'm sure it wont total 90days since holidays are expensive and work would not allow me.
Then you will get a five year RRV with a quick turnaround.

If this is stressing you out, you can just apply now and not have the stress!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.