Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been living in Australia/ Melbourne since April 2009. My spouse came here on work..457 and so I'm here on the same Visa. We hv 2 children.

Qs 1: Can I apply for the 176 Visa at all, as I have come here on my husband's 457?

I noticed tht The Vic State sponsorship visa skills list, has my skill on it.
I seem to qualify for all the points, but for one hitch, I have over 7 years of relevant experience & relevant qualifications, but haven't worked for the past 3 years. I do hv valid reasons for ths break..I had 2 children and chose to tend to them.

Qs 2:So am I be eligible to apply? My total score on DIAC site is comin to 115 and for the sponsorship only 100 pts is enough.

Qs 3: Is there any other point we need to specially care for, before lodging the application?

Qs 4: How long will this entire process take and what cud be the costs?
-
Cheers!
R

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there,

I am also in the process of applying for a 176 visa. I've done a lot of research, and read that you need to have been working in the occupation you mention on your application for at least 12 of the latest 24 months (at the time of application). So as far as I know, you can't apply for the visa.
Double check with other people though.

Denise

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I have not checked what the Vic. Government sponsorship eligibility requirements are but they do closely follow that of Immi and it is unfortunate in your case that there is a basic requirement with skilled visas for the recent experience Tigris mentions, the detail @ Skilled - Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
I am not aware of there being any waiver for that but given both state and federal governments are always keen to get skilled people back into the workforce after absences and if you have an occupation in some demand, making an enquiry with Immi for starters would not hurt.
You could go into the Melbourne Immi office and see if you can get an appointment rather than just take advice from someone at the counter and you may get a better hearing and if no good news, as a form of appeal, send a very clear email for pre lodgement enquiry in first instance and then if need be the Global Feedback Unit, details for both under contact.

If the answer is still a No, it is likely because the regulations are fixed by legislation and if they start making exceptions, it can become a case of where does it stop and management of the programs could get exceedingly messy and inconsistent.

And if it is a No, it does not need to be full stop for you for if you are on the state in demand list, there's a good chance you may be able to find employment.
Even without an employer sponsor and if there was not potential for an employer to initially or after a reasonable time offer PR sponsorship, a year working would give you the 12 months in 24 recent experience to be eligible for a 176 application and the experience can be as low as just 20 hours a week if that made it easier to secure employment and/or look after your children.
Details re employer sponsorship @ Visa Options - Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

The length of time for visa processing with a 176 is likely to be up around 12 months or so to which you would need to add the time to get all your documents and application done.
An employer sponsored PR as a top processing priority visa is likely to be done in perhaps less than six months if an application is complete and accurate.

Cost is going to be about $2600 and I haven't checked latest figure but there's a link under each visa on the Immi site and you ought to read all visa sections info, including all links in detail.
Make sure your husband and children are then included as secondary applicants to your application.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Everyone,

According to my initial assesment i obtained 125 points and am done with my skill assessment as well.

I believe i am eligible to apply both for 175 and 176, could anyone advise what would be the better choice, in terms of processing time and fair chances of acceptance etc.

thnx

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
176 visas mean applying for state sponsorship and that can take 3-4 months or whatever though with a 176 visa application it will then have a higher priority re processing compared to the 175.
You cannot put a definite processing time on either for there are always going to be variables with either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you very much for your prompt response,

Actually I have already submitted an online application yesterday under 175, can i change it to 176 without doing any damage to the application?And if so, should I go for it?

Actually I have my cousin in Brisbane and therefore I would prefer to move there atleast initially.

Please advise....

Thnx again! God bless....

176 visas mean applying for state sponsorship and that can take 3-4 months or whatever though with a 176 visa application it will then have a higher priority re processing compared to the 175.
You cannot put a definite processing time on either for there are always going to be variables with either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Mates,

I hope u can assist my with my inquires. I am a petroleum engineer with excelent english and 3 years experience so
my self assesment is as folowing
SOL occupation : 60
IELTS:25
Specific Employment is 10
Designated Language :5
totaling :130 points
1- my points are 130 so I can apply for subcalss 175 , but what about applying for 176 and consider being sponsered by Western Australia State cuz I have their minimum requirements and then my point will be 140 ? I mean which is better and more gauranteed? which is stronger ?
Thanks all

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Thank you very much for your prompt response,

Actually I have already submitted an online application yesterday under 175, can i change it to 176 without doing any damage to the application?And if so, should I go for it?

Actually I have my cousin in Brisbane and therefore I would prefer to move there atleast initially.

Please advise....

Thnx again! God bless....
If you have applied already for a 175 visa you cannot change that to a 176 and yes, visa and state sponsorship applications are two separate activities, one by Immi and the other by a state/territory .
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/statmig-fs.pdf

Also a good idea to have a look at the Whats New Link for there is much information on changes that have occurred in recent times.
Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Hello Mates,

I hope u can assist my with my inquires. I am a petroleum engineer with excelent english and 3 years experience so
my self assesment is as folowing
SOL occupation : 60
IELTS:25
Specific Employment is 10
Designated Language :5
totaling :130 points
1- my points are 130 so I can apply for subcalss 175 , but what about applying for 176 and consider being sponsered by Western Australia State cuz I have their minimum requirements and then my point will be 140 ? I mean which is better and more gauranteed? which is stronger ?
Thanks all
As long as an application has the required points, that is all that is required and re state sponsorship or not, see my response @ #6

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.