Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been waiting 10 months now for my 186. I'm feeling very distressed as I watch other people get theirs who applied well after me. I'm using an agent as well but he hasn't been particularly helpful to my requests.

Any thoughts on a longer processing time? Is this normal?

My agent took a couple of months to lodge my application but had encouraged me to submit a health check straight away. He was under the impression that I would have received my results by now. My health check is due to expire at the end of this month. I asked my agent what to do and he said the health check might be extended and I would be wasting my money to do it again. However, with all the delays on the processing for my application, I just cannot manage this being delayed even further. Would you recommend I re-take the health exam?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I'm reading this and asking myself if you have the right agent.

First of all, it doesn't sound right that health check can be extended (I've never heard of that). I googled it straight away and there is nothing about it online.
So very next thing you do, you pick up the phone and call Bupa and ask about this "extension situation".
Once you get an answer, you'll see if your agent has any knowledge or not.
I'm not saying it doesn't exist 100%, I might be wrong, but it better to check than be sorry later.

Second, you set aside $200 and go and see another migration agent, tell them all about your case and ask for advice. In cases like this, second opinion is imperative.

I would know about that :).
I had an issue with my previous agent, He was ok at the start, prompt and responsive with my 457 and with my second visa (186), he lost interest, stoped responding to my emails within 24-48 hours and it used to take me days to get a hold of him.
He also didn't know what my current agent does, so instead of transferring my 457 from one company to another, he suggested to apply from scratch with the new company (and start my 2 year experience period all over again).
He also suggested to one of my colleagues (also sponsored by the same company) that she should get her partner application ready as this is most likely not gonna work (whilst he was ensuring me that everything will be fine).
The case was quite complicated, that is a fact.

Bless our company HR manager who said "enough is enough" and found another agent who death with the case as it was a piece of cake. 457 got approved within 60 days.

The whole point of this story is that you (we..all of us) put your life into someone's hands, you pay well and you trust that they will do everything possible to work in your interest. Unfortunately, its not always like that!

So...maybe you need to change agents.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I'm interested to know the outcome of the medical extension... and the whole situation.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
You case officer has some discretion to extend the health check so possibly you won't need to retake it. It's up to you whether you want to spend the money, perhaps unnecessarily, to avoid a possible delay if your case officer was to request a new one.

I've seen many many posts from people waiting well over a year, so your processing time is not unusual. Applications seem to be taking anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, although 8-12 months seems to be the average.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
He also didn't know what my current agent does, so instead of transferring my 457 from one company to another, he suggested to apply from scratch with the new company (and start my 2 year experience period all over again).
If you transfer a 457 from one company to another, you start the 2 years (towards eligibility for transition stream) over again. So if you had less than 2 years remaining on a 457 it likely was a better suggestion that you start with a new nomination and application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.