Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My fiancé has been offered a job in regional Queensland (Sunshine Coast) and her new employer will sponsor her on a 187 regional visa. I am planning to be attached to this visa as a de facto partner.

We are currently in the UK so my fiancé will be going to Australia initially on the 417 Working Holiday Visa and working for her new employer for six months after which she will go onto a BVA Bridging Visa until the 187 Visa is approved.

I am 31 so cannot go over on the 417 Working Holiday Visa and so I will go over on a three month ETA Tourist Visa. I will go roughly three months after my fiancé goes but ensure I am in Australia before my fiancé goes onto her BVA Bridging Visa.

My fiancé's employees tell me that whilst I cannot work for three months whilst on the Tourist Visa, as soon as that expires I will go onto the Bridging Visa and will then enjoy full working rights.

Has anyone been through a similar process? I am nervous to quit my job here in the UK and go out on the tourist visa in case at the end of that three month tourist visa I am not accepted on the bridging visa or for some reason cannot work on the bridging visa.

Any advice is hugely appreciated.

Gareth

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
From what you have posted, it looks as if you have been misinformed.
May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for an assessment of your case?

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Your fiance will hold the 417 for 12 months after she enters Australia, she will only go on the BVA after the 417 expires. She is limited to working for any employer for a maximum of 6 months while she holds the 417. She could apply to have this condition lifted near the end of the 6 month period but have this approved isn't guaranteed.

AFAIK, you would only be given a BVA if you were in Australia at the time the 187 was lodged. I'm not sure if you'd have full work rights on a BVA or not. It seems to be based on the combination of visa held + visa applied for and whether ETA+187 = work rights I don't know. I assume the timing of you and her going on the BVA don't need to be synchronized (in other words, your visa expiring earlier than hers may not matter), but this is something I'd confirm with a migration agent.

If her employer working with a registered migration agent on this? Even if they aren't, it doesn't mean you and she can't contact one to understand what's required and how to go about your applications.

Reactions: Pacatus

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks very much for your response. I have now spoken to an immigration lawyer that is working with the company sponsoring my partner.

They have confirmed that the 417 Working Holiday Visa for my partner does last for 12 months but that they will be lodging the 187 Reional Visa after 6 months so that they can then apply for my partner to be allowed to work for the same company for the remainder of her 12 month visa.

I therefore need to be in Australia on an ETA Tourist Visa when they make the 187 Visa application. On expiry of my three month tourist visa I will then move onto the BA Bridging Visa and they will ensure that I have full working rights with that visa.

I feel more comfortable now that I understand this process and I just hope there is no issues with the process!

Thanks again for your replies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.