Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm a teacher from the UK here on a sub-class 500 student visa. I put through an expression of interest for a 189 visa back in 2015 and had it rejected because my teaching qualifications are in the secondary sector but my recent experience is teaching in the junior sector. I have since put through an expression of interest for state nomination (489) on the back of my PhD at Notre Dame which is nearly completed. I had it accepted; however, it requires a contract of employment in the area of teaching I stipulated on the application. I.e. secondary. As the job is in the junior sector, immigration told me yesterday that it would render the visa application obsolete. Does anyone know which visa is better - 189 or 489 for me to apply for and have a higher chance of being accepted?

THANK YOU :)

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
There is no such thing as an 'obsolete' application.

It might pay you to consult a registered migration agent to advice about your possible strategies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thank you. Both visas are the same price but the 489 is only for up to 4 years. I'd rather spend my money on a permanent visa if possible but if I have more chance of getting the 489 I'll try that. I've seen a migration expert before who told me to go for the 189 and then had it rejected as my most recent experience was in the junior sector, with my qualifications in the senior. Perhaps I was just unlucky with the agent I got at immigration.

Thanks again
Steph

·
Registered
774 Posts
Okay, thank you. Both visas are the same price but the 489 is only for up to 4 years. I'd rather spend my money on a permanent visa if possible but if I have more chance of getting the 489 I'll try that. I've seen a migration expert before who told me to go for the 189 and then had it rejected as my most recent experience was in the junior sector, with my qualifications in the senior. Perhaps I was just unlucky with the agent I got at immigration.

Thanks again
Steph
You had a RMA respond to you. You can contact him via his signature on his post. I'd highly recommend you do so, as since your credentials are for secondary, but your experience is for primary, I'd say you're going to need some help. Did you have your skills assessed through AITSL? If so, what was the result?

Reactions: stephmasseyuk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks. I have experience in both fields - secondary for 3 years in the UK, and secondary and primary since 2014 in Australia. My skills were assessed for the 189 I submitted in 2015 and they came back as a secondary assessment. The issue is that AITSL, the Department of Education and the Teaching Registration Board of WA all consider primary and secondary as the same entity. It only splits when it gets to immigration yet both sectors are on the nominated occupation list for both 489 and 189 visas. I've contacted Westly through the website on his signature. Many thanks again, Steph

·
Registered
774 Posts
Very true. I am a secondary teacher here in WA. I have always only done secondary teaching. So, you can go for the 189 visa as a secondary teacher. That's all you need to do for the 189. That's what I was going to do.

Just a heads up. You'll probably need a new AITSL skills assessment, as I believe they are only good for 2 years. I'm glad you've contacted Westly. I can't say enough how important it is to have a good RMA. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 189 got rejected because they don't consider relief teaching or junior experience which is where I was working at the time. It's the same for the 489, if your recent experience is junior and your qualifications or employment are junior it won't be accepted apparently.

Thank you - I've got an expert calling me back in an hour. Fingers crossed I can have some clarity :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.