Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just have a quick question about tax return in 2018.

I filled in the estimation form on the Australian government site and the result I got was about 450 AUD.
My gross income between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018 is 22,639 AUD and total tax withheld is 3,396 AUD.
I was on a working holiday visa in this period, but when I fill in the same information for a non-working-holiday person I get around 2,700 AUD. Is it normal that the difference is this big? I saw on several sites that the average tax return is between 2,000 and 3,000 AUD. I did read that the tax rules for working holiday makers changed in 2017, so maybe that's why I get less than I expected.

Hopefully somebody can enlighten me on how this works.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be because residents dont pay tax on the first 18200 they earn.

As a working holiday maker you pay 15c on every dollar so should have paid 22639 * 0.15 =3385.85

The rebate i would assume was due to having work related expenses etc?
Okay. I think I have been misunderstanding how the tax return system works. I guess I should be happy to get something back at all!
Not sure what those 450 dollars are for, but I'll take it!

Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
My daughter is one who gets the 'average' tax refund. But she claims for Motor vehicle travel costs almost daily, plus required phone use etc.

It normally all comes down to the job, and the costs you incur as part of the job.
Almost 1 in 5 people get no rebate. Some get many thousands.

Not working for part of the year can also cause a refund of tax overpaid at margin rates.

Reactions: Mish

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
My daughter is one who gets the 'average' tax refund. But she claims for Motor vehicle travel costs almost daily, plus required phone use etc.

It normally all comes down to the job, and the costs you incur as part of the job.
Almost 1 in 5 people get no rebate. Some get many thousands.

Not working for part of the year can also cause a refund of tax overpaid at margin rates.
I have only gotten the average twice - the first year I started working and the year I only worked half the year and studied full-time.

Most years I get a very small refund and that is only because of my deductions for my managed funds.

Work related deductions do give people a refund but of course they need to be in relation to your job (no personal usage and no motor vehicle from home to work etc).

One of my friends had to tell her tax agent to remove the work related expenses because she didn't have any. The tax agent then said "you can claim up to $300 without a receipt" she had to tell them to remove the $300 because she did not have any and would not be able to justify the amount if contacted by the ATO.

·
Registered
6,927 Posts
Tax is a tricky area - do not claim it if you can not prove it.

I get the "average" if not a bit more most years.

I have a good accountant that I have used for years - I think location has been my biggest reason for return.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.