Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,519 Posts
My daughter is one who gets the 'average' tax refund. But she claims for Motor vehicle travel costs almost daily, plus required phone use etc.

It normally all comes down to the job, and the costs you incur as part of the job.
Almost 1 in 5 people get no rebate. Some get many thousands.

Not working for part of the year can also cause a refund of tax overpaid at margin rates.
I have only gotten the average twice - the first year I started working and the year I only worked half the year and studied full-time.

Most years I get a very small refund and that is only because of my deductions for my managed funds.

Work related deductions do give people a refund but of course they need to be in relation to your job (no personal usage and no motor vehicle from home to work etc).

One of my friends had to tell her tax agent to remove the work related expenses because she didn't have any. The tax agent then said "you can claim up to $300 without a receipt" she had to tell them to remove the $300 because she did not have any and would not be able to justify the amount if contacted by the ATO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.