Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My stepson has started his farm work to gain a 2nd year on his 417 visa. He's being paid piece rates, as seems the norm for most jobs advertised.

I'm aware that there needs to be a minimum wage earned and a piece-rate agreement signed. As well as evidence of payment, and payslips, tax returns and the like.

What happens though if the rate doesn't actually equal the equivalent hourly rate? I suspect that some people are faster or slower and although he's a hard worker nothing is guaranteed I guess.

If he can't get a signed agreement can anyone give advice as to where to look for legit farm work. Victoria preferred but he'll travel anywhere providing the work is actually there to be had in earnest.

Thank you

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
To be honest, it seems an un-honest area in lots of places and a bit of a mine field.

I am currently working on a EBA and finding we are being driven out by Labour Hire Companies - because they are operating against both Fair Work and the ATO requirements.

But in this process of research it seems, that the wine industry in South Australia seems to be trying to be a "good employer" industry in relation to both WHV holders and audits of Labour Hire Companies.

Based on that I would look at the grape/wine industry in SA for the work he is looking for to get the second WHV.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.