Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am currently in Australia and my student visa is expiring 30 August 2017. I am planning to return to my home country, Malaysia and stay for a few weeks to visit family members before applying for ETA visitor's visa to Australia. I plan to apply for 1 year, multiple entry with 3 months stay for each visit.

I have three questions:

1) How is the 3 month duration calculated?
For example, is 17 Sept - 17 December considered 3 months? (it's 3 months 1 day if I calculate the end date as well)
Or is it strictly 90 days?

2) I am enrolled in a short course (NAATI) which the course already started. I studied a few weeks of it while on student visa, but I did not have a COE for this specific course. Since the Visitor's visa allow maximum 3 months of study, If I arrive to Australia on 17 Sept and continue my course, will my time in Malaysia still count as study, as I am not in Australia, yet the course is still running here.

3) I have studied in Australia for 2 years now, and my total stay is about 2 years 1 month. What are the reasons visitor visa might be rejected? I am a bit worried.

Please clarify. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,019 Posts
There is a 12 months (in Australia) in past 18 months reason

and

Visitor Visas while allow study are from memory not a reason they can be granted.

Pretty much any other reason/concern DIBP may have.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hello,

I am currently in Australia and my student visa is expiring 30 August 2017. I am planning to return to my home country, Malaysia and stay for a few weeks to visit family members before applying for ETA visitor's visa to Australia. I plan to apply for 1 year, multiple entry with 3 months stay for each visit.

I have three questions:

1) How is the 3 month duration calculated?
For example, is 17 Sept - 17 December considered 3 months? (it's 3 months 1 day if I calculate the end date as well)
Or is it strictly 90 days?

It's calculated as 3 whole months (not 90 days) so for example 5th Jan - 5th April

2) I am enrolled in a short course (NAATI) which the course already started. I studied a few weeks of it while on student visa, but I did not have a COE for this specific course. Since the Visitor's visa allow maximum 3 months of study, If I arrive to Australia on 17 Sept and continue my course, will my time in Malaysia still count as study, as I am not in Australia, yet the course is still running here.

Do you mean in the eyes of the institution or immigration?

3) I have studied in Australia for 2 years now, and my total stay is about 2 years 1 month. What are the reasons visitor visa might be rejected? I am a bit worried.

If they don't believe that you're returning as a genuine tourist, they may refuse the visa. There aren't any guarantees

Please clarify. Thank you.
Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.