Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am an Australian citizen by birth. My partner is a Syrian national but he left Syria and came to Jordan in 2012 and registered in Jordan as a refugee with the UNHCR. We were Facebook friends initially. He seemed like a nice guy so I started asking him about his situation, but it was just a friendship at that stage with no romantic interest. I suggested he apply as a refugee to come to Australia, saying I could provide him with temporary accommodation till he got on his feet. So we did a refugee application for him and I was the proposer on the application. We used a migration agent in Australia and he charged us $5000 to do the application for us.

During the process of doing the refugee application we got to know a lot about each other and fell in love. We let the refugee application take it's course and hoped we could be together. The refugee application was rejected - the rejection letter stated his was not a high priority case due to the higher levels of persecution and/or stronger ties to Australia demonstrated by other applicants, and there were 45,000 applicants competing for just 5,000 allocated refugee visas for Syrians in that financial year. Fair enough, we couldn't do much about that and without any other more compelling evidence there was not much point re-applying to compete with another 45,000 people in more dire circumstances.

But as our relationship had developed into a serious thing, when the application was rejected it became clear we had to pursue any other options to be together as soon as possible. I decided to visit him in Jordan to see if we would feel the same about each other in person, and we do. There is great chemistry between us, shared values and life goals etc. and we want to be married and be together ASAP.

He has no ties to Jordan and I have all my family and friends and my job in Australia, and it would be very hard for me to find a job paying similar wages or sufficient wages for us to live on in Jordan, so the logical thing is for him to come to Australia on a 300 visa and we get married there. He also can't visit me on a tourist visa because Jordan is not allowing refugees to return to Jordan once they leave the country for any reason.

He is not legally allowed to work in Jordan but as all the Syrian refugees there have to live, they work illegally for very low wages, very long hours and poor conditions, with the constant threat of being arrested for working without a permit. The permits are almost impossible to get due to the ill feeling of Jordanians towards Syrian refugees and the rampant corruption in the public service.

I am wanting to know:
1) has anyone else had experience in our situation - i.e. a refugee applying for a 300 visa?

2) does anyone know if there are still problems getting response from the Syrian government for security checks? (He has no criminal record and is in good health but left a month before his compulsory military service was due because he didn't want to join the Syrian army to kill civilians.)

Any information from anyone's similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
I'm sorry to say but security checks for Syria will most likely take a very very very long time. KitKaat her partner has been waiting 20 months for his visa and is waiting on security checks. He is currently living in Egypt.

Btw ... you have a nice story of how you got together :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me Mish. We are now thinking it might be better for him to go to Germany and apply for asylum there. he has been told by a friend that he would get residence there after 3 months and a temporary passport, and would then be able to travel in and out of Germany to visit me. He would also be able to work. We are thinking that it would allow us to show more evidence of our relationship if we can spend more time together, both in Germany and in Australia.

I have not been able to find out how long he would be allowed to visit Australia for each time though, despite having looked at the German immigration website and googling, I wonder if anyone knows about that here? For example, can he come for 3 months ? I know his government living allowance would be cut off if he leaves for longer than 1 month, but can he get the payment again when he returns to Germany after a longer stay, say 2 or 3 months with me in Australia where I would support him for the duration of the visit?

·
Premium Member
10,530 Posts
There is one possible problem with this and someone who has applied for a evisitor or ETA can confirm but they may ask if they are a citizen of another country. Being a citizen of Syria they may not give him a tourist visa.

How long he can come depends on what they grant him but usually is 12 months with max 3 months per visit.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
He may also face issues trying to relocate to Germany. Europe is currently faced with huge numbers of refugees from northern Africa, and they are struggling to find places for all of them. If your fiancee is already "settled" in Jordan and if there's a refused refugee claim in his history, they may be reluctant to allow him entry for fears he'll lodge an asylum claim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.