Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys we need advice about whether or not to wait or just apply.
My partner and I have been together the end January 2015. Late Feb 2015 my partner had to go back home. We were in contact the entire time and planning to meet back again. We were together yet apart for 6 months. When he came back in Sep 2015 we were immediately living together and have ever since.
My question is will my case officer take Sep as the start of our de facto relationship or will the 6 months prior also count? Wondering if we should wait a month or just apply now. As of end this coming Jan 2018 it will mean we have been together for 3 years. Any suggestions?
We also lack a little evidence in the living together as we have been traveling the last 3 years together. We can show airbnb reviews, booking.com reservations pictures of our rental apartments and maybe a months receipt (We traveled Latin America, No such thing as lease agreements) also stat decs.
Think this is Ok?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
My partner and I have been together the end January 2015.

Late Feb 2015 my partner had to go back home.

We were in contact the entire time and planning to meet back again. We were together yet apart for 6 months. When he came back in Sep 2015 we were immediately living together and have ever since.
If I were a Case Officer I would want to see good details of the why partner had to go back "home", before I would consider the optional grant of PR due to a long time relationship.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My partner and I have been together the end January 2015.

Late Feb 2015 my partner had to go back home.

We were in contact the entire time and planning to meet back again. We were together yet apart for 6 months. When he came back in Sep 2015 we were immediately living together and have ever since.
If I were a Case Officer I would want to see good details of the why partner had to go back "home", before I would consider the optional grant of PR due to a long time relationship.
What is good details?
His passport had expired, he had to go home to renew it. Also to work more so he could go back travelling....

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Keep in mind a Case Officer is not required to ask you for any extra information and can make a decision based on what you have supplied - so make things very clear to them.

* It is my understanding that many countries have embassies in Australia that can issue passports if required - so while this could be a reason to be separated - it is not the strongest reason as it normally will not take 6 months to get a new passport.

* Working to save money is also a reason, but did they have working rights on the last visa?

Now putting the 2 together with other factual things can make a strong case, but you need to put in the effort. That means explaining the back ground on things such as to why it was better for the 6 months to be apart (like how you could not go to be with them).

I could not go to be with my partner after DIBP refused her visa/s to be with me, as I was a hands on Managing Director of my Aircraft Maintenance Company that employed a handful of people and I was a single parent of 3 young kids -

* they refused her visa applications.
* I had a company in Australia that I was employed at.
* I employed other people.
* I had 3 school age kids in Australia to look after.

- This made it reasonable for us to be apart for a period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.