Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I would like to know when the 309 partner visa is granted, how much time do you have until you must enter Australia?

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
It depends on the expiry date of the medicals or police check (whichever one expires first), they are only valid usually for 12 months.

For example, if you submitted your application 1 March 2017 and did the police checked 1 April 2017 and then the medicals 1 June 2017 and the application is approved 3 January 2018 then they will give you until 28 February 2018 to enter Australia.

The date that you must enter will be on the grant notice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It depends on the expiry date of the medicals or police check (whichever one expires first), they are only valid usually for 12 months.

For example, if you submitted your application 1 March 2017 and did the police checked 1 April 2017 and then the medicals 1 June 2017 and the application is approved 3 January 2018 then they will give you until 28 February 2018 to enter Australia.

The date that you must enter will be on the grant notice.
You mean 31 March I guess? The day before the police check?

Anyhow: My police check was done on the 13/6/2017 and we have to enter before the 13/6/2018 - same date, not the day before. ;)

Which leaves me with these questions: in Germany you normally have to give 3 months notice to quit a job. In your example the applicant would only have around 2 months! Would you need to travel to OZ to "start" your visa (on a weekend), come back to finish work and then move to OZ? Or would DoHA consider a later date in a case like that?

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
The Dept of any name they wish to use to hide from offshore processing of certain groups - will not change the facts,

They don't care what you do in Germany about 3 months or any other thing.

The Department of what ever name on the day are far better designers of anything than any German ever was - and just remember that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What's your problem? I was only asking? And I never wrote about anybody or anything being better!

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
What's your problem? I was only asking? And I never wrote about anybody or anything being better!
So you have not had contact with the former DIBP & certain places that have inconsistent outcomes compared to other visa process centres.
That operate under the exact same rules World wide at all Australian Embassies ?

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
That's why it is a good idea to wait until asked for police checks and medicals. In most cases, a grant comes shortly after and the applicant has plenty of time to enter by the first entry date.

The first entry date thing is something that they should include in the partner visa info sheet on the website or in the partner migration booklet but they don't.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So you have not had contact with the former DIBP & certain places that have inconsistent outcomes compared to other visa process centres.
That operate under the exact same rules World wide at all Australian Embassies ?
I only intended to give an example that I know of of a circumstance that might leave an applicant from any country with a problem if the time to enter Australia is quite short. And asked if there are cases in which the department does give a longer time - for any applicant from any country.

Or maybe is there a minimum time, even if the checks would expire? Would they grant a visa 2 days before the checks expire? Or maybe ask for new checks if they cant give a grant a minimum of let's say 2 weeks before expiry?

I agree with Skybluebrewer: It seems like front loading can result in problems...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I only intended to give an example that I know of of a circumstance that might leave an applicant from any country with a problem if the time to enter Australia is quite short. And asked if there are cases in which the department does give a longer time - for any applicant from any country.

Or maybe is there a minimum time, even if the checks would expire? Would they grant a visa 2 days before the checks expire? Or maybe ask for new checks if they cant give a grant a minimum of let's say 2 weeks before expiry?

I agree with Skybluebrewer: It seems like front loading can result in problems...

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
If it is a short period they will ring and ask you. I know someone whose police checks would expire in 2 weeks giving them 2 weeks to enter Australia. They were given the option to either do a new police check or make entry within 2 weeks. They did the entry in 2 weeks.

Immigration assume if you apply you are ready to move. My husband was given 2.5 months to make entry to Australia.

·
Premium Member
11,215 Posts
Anyhow: My police check was done on the 13/6/2017 and we have to enter before the 13/6/2018 - same date, not the day before. ;)
It is the day before that is how it was for my husband's grant he had to arrive by the day before the 12 months was up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.