Australia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone who lived in the USA within their 10 year history but was on an alien visa and returned to their country of origin...was an FBI check requested. Especially if you live in an African country as the US Embassy at least where I live does not offer any assistance for this request and says to ask local police for assistance. Just wondering if this is a must as I was not a citizen or permanent resident and only authorised channels can be used for this. Pls provide helpful info.

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that - the issue is one needs to collect finger prints and then mail them .... Collecting of the finger prints is not even done by a US agency. Its such a dilemma - that is why I am asking someone who has experience in Africa.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've no experience in Africa but have requested FBI checks for myself and my husband from outside the US. We had fingerprints done at our local police station. Is that not an option in Africa?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
There have been a couple of people on this forum that did the fingerprints themselves.

It is not recommended because if you do not do them correctly, you have to apply again which means you've now lost the initial application fee and have to pay again. Also with a wait time of 3 months give or take, it's a long time to wait to find out you aren't getting it because the prints weren't readable.

That being said, it has been done successfully. You can print the form and get an ink pad and give it a go. Maybe youtube vids on how to do it properly.

My suggestion? Send in several prints. Do them 3 or 4 good times and hopefully they'll get what they need from it.

The FBI will send your checks to any address, even outside the US, so that should not be an issue.

·
Registered
794 Posts
additionally FBI now offers electronic service which is a heck of a lot faster than the old method of posting everything in. From what I gather you submit the initial request electronically and they send you a confirmation for you to print out and include with your fingerprint card(s) which you then post to them.

"Current processing time for requests submitted electronically is estimated to be three to five business days upon receipt of the fingerprint card. Allow additional time for mail delivery if this option was selected during the request process."

https://www.edo.cjis.gov/#/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.