Australia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new member here!

Just a quick background. I'm an Aussie citizen, and met a beautiful German woman earlier in the year. We spent a few wonderful months travelling around the state, and are in a happy relationship. She recently returned home (sad face), but we decided before she left to go down the offshore partner (309) visa application road. We are currently in the process of registering a civil partnership as our defacto relationship is less than 12 months.

We'd love to be reunited as soon as possible, but both know that's not exactly easy these days thanks to the pandemic.
I'd like to know if anyone has had any luck with applying for a tourist/sponsor visa (600) and an exemption, with the sole intention of applying for a 820 visa once said partner is onshore? It would be great if 309 applicants were granted a bridging visa which would allow them entry so partners could be together while the temp visa application is processed. I've been considering starting a petition of some kind to raise awareness of this issue, along with the horrible wait times associated with this visa. May be a good opportunity while partner visas are still in the news.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any advice or experiences people have had in these areas!

Cheers,

K

·
Registered
933 Posts
The simple answer to your question is ‘yes’ but I’d suggest that you get some professional advice so that you understand how this all works and what the potential issues are around the various options.

Reactions: kyga

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think there are already a few petitions that address this issue.

Yes, technically it is possible to apply for the visitor visa and the exemption, then apply for the 820 onshore, but exemptions aren't easy to get at the moment (just having a registered relationship certificate isn't enough).

Also, registering the relationship only waives the 12 months requirement. To be eligible for the partner visa, you still need to provide the evidence for each of the 4 pillars (social, financial, household etc).

Probably it's best for you to discuss your case with the agent.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been considering starting a petition of some kind to raise awareness of this issue, along with the horrible wait times associated with this visa.
Waiting times for 309 visa from Germany are very favourable (definitely better than for onshore applications), so any change probably doesn't work in your favour

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Waiting times for 309 visa from Germany are very favourable (definitely better than for onshore applications), so any change probably doesn't work in your favour
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I've read that the processing times from Germany are quite good. There is still a bigger issue here though, particularly with 309 applications. The fact that some may have to wait 24 months or more to be with their loved ones is just unreasonable!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes the long waiting times for all visas is a huge issue. Apparently most visas are decided on in a day, the rest is just the application waiting in line. Unfortunately we have to work with the system we have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts